Nightime happenings & Bryher

St Mary's, Isles of Scilly Travel Blog

View across to Tresco
It's all suddenly very surreal. We have 4 'neighbours' - 2 either side we have got very friendly with, 2 further up we're on nodding terms with all within our hedgelined enclosure. One of those other 2 - a couple, upped and moved to a different part of the site last night. Apparently someone had stolen some of her clothes and a pair of knickers and a top were found in the gents. Their tent was pitched alongside a public footpath but all the guys in our patch felt very uncomfortable and accused. We also had some sad laughs out of it (phantom knicker nicker, etc) but it left us all abit uneasy. Felt particularly sorry for the guy next to her with his teen autistic son who she particularly tried to blame. Then, about midnight, a child started crying for her Mum and went on .
Hell's Bay Hotel. Wonderful
...... & on .........& on. I got up to the toilet eventually & most of the campsite must have been awake althought I did hear some snores. Mulled it over & thought it strange. It wasn't a baby who wouldn't be comforted. Sounded like a toddler/child but we couldn't hear any signs of anyone pacifying so I got up again to check it out. The child stopped crying as soon as I spoke through the tent & I called for anyone with her or in the tent right next to hers. I didn't get an answer so I opened the tent, the child came out to me and climbed on my lap for a cuddle. Rob came to see what was happening & fetched the phone so I could ring the police. While I was talking to them, the other tent stirred & a woman put her head out smelling of booze. She took the sleeping bag I'd wrapped round the child & wrapped herself up in it!.
Unspoilt
I told her her child had been crying for her for about an hour and the police were on their way. They came then so I left her to explain herself & went back to bed. According to our neighbour the next morning, there had been some very noisy bonking going on there earlier. All abit bleary eyed today but it was worth getting up to see the amazing stars. All our neighbours are going today. Sad to see them go & we've exchanged numbers. Had some good laughs with them. Caught boat to Bryher. Some confusion over where we were going as had a boat load of Saga Louts going to Tresco - some pleasant, some not so. Slightly snotty boat (girl) hand too. Thought we were doing Samson as well but missed out on that one. Never mind, Bryher's lovely - my favourite, I think.Love the Hell's Bay Hotel even if it is abit overcivilised for the surroundings. Wouldn't say no to a holiday there. I've got some lovely bites around my legs after yesterday's hanging around chatting in leafy footpaths. Noticed Ted lurking around the churchyard here. Looked in the church but gave the yard a miss. They're very sad as so many die very young and a huge proportion of the islands' men must have died in the wars. On St Martins, on couple had lost 2 little girls at 8 months 2 years apart, then a son had drowned at 7 years. They didn't seem to have had other children but both died in their 90's. Got new neighbours - 2 families with lots of children & 2 couples. All seem very pleasant, we've got sole use of the table again! Came back to a postcard under tent door from previous neighbou with the daughters thanking us for being good neighbours. Very kind. Hung around site in evening observing everyone. All seem to be teachers or connected. Nice, well behaved kids
Hells Bay Hotel. Wonderful