The famous Chapman's Peak Drive

Hout Bay Travel Blog

Hout Bay was formerly a fishing village and has managed to maintain its unique combination of fishing harbour and country atmosphere in spite of all the growth. The town is located along the beach facing the huge mountain ranges that have been made famous - Champman�s peak. One of the main attractions in Hout Bay is the harbour.

Chapman�s Peak in Hout Bay was one of the stops we intended to make on our tour of Cape town, however by the time we visited there was extensive restoration and fortification of the road that goes up Chapman�s peak. There was no knowing when the road would be re-opened.

From below the mountain one can see the winding roads up the mountain. Chapman's Peak drive is one of the most spectacular coastal roads in western cape province. It starts at the fishing harbour of Hout Bay and then winds up to Chapman's Point. I would like to visit and drive up to the peak the next time I visit Cape Town. I understood from the news that as of this year (2008), the road was closed again for construction and maintenance. The little I saw of the town makes me want to revisit, this time I may want to actually go hiking.

PS: “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” Mark Twain

Hout Bay