Route 62, the Wine Route

Stellenbosch Travel Blog

The popular wine route is the oldest wine route in South Africa - Stellenbosch. The vineyards and wineries of Stellenbosch are the closest in distance to Cape Town. Don and I drove for less than an hour before we entered the Stellenbosch wine region. This is the most popular wine region and is home to a variety of cellars- producing some of the country's most acclaimed wines. Don and I attended two wine tasting sessions while in Stellenbosch.

The Wine Route is also known as Route 62 which takes you along the longest wine route in the Western Cape and possibly the whole world.

We visited the Rosendhal Winery for wine tasting along the way, Dunstone winery, Savignac De Versailles. We then headed to Franschoek Valley, beautiful, beautiful town surrounded by mountains (a little on the expensive side though). You can spend your day just walking along the tree-lined streets. The main road was very busy when we were there which means it is a popular place for many. The shops are very expensive and very inviting too - for the impulsive shopper like me, it was like smoke to their smoker struggling to quit heheeee!

If you love wine, you will especially enjoy the wine route tour of the western Cape Province. For the non wine lover the scenery is magnificent. The Winelands are an absolute must since the region has some of the most breathtaking vistas and majestic mountain backdrops and rich in culture and history. Rolling vineyards and quaint Cape Dutch homesteads await you, as well as award-wining wine farms offering some of the country's best wines. There are different regions of the wine land: each of the regions have their individual wine route, the two most popular ones are Stellenbosch and Franshoek. While in Cape Town, Don and I went through Wellington and Paarl where we bought lots of wine. Not to be forgotten are the highly acclaimed wine estates in the Constantia Valley.

Africancrab says:
You got it Gerrit.
Posted on: Mar 21, 2010
Tinktinkie says:
Yes my mom and my sister visited me in Sept 2008 and my dad came to visit me now in Feb. It was awesome. I must admit my favourite wine in SA is the Merlot. Here I love the Malbec. Well, when you want to come to Argentina, we are not very far from Mendoza and I hope we could get together and have a nice glass of Malbec!
Posted on: Mar 12, 2010
Africancrab says:
Really? Awesome. Have you family visited you in Argentina yet? I have the mind to come wine tasting in Mendosa. Lately my wine tasting group has been tasting a lot of the Argentine wines. I liked the Malbec the last time.
I still go shopping at Trader Joe's because they carry South African wines, ha-ha!
Posted on: Mar 12, 2010