20 places in Vilnius that u have to see during ur vacations/visit to Vilnius.. Don't forget to involve these objects to ur places to visit here list :Pp 1 - 10…
Gediminas Avenue - Gedimino prospektas (Gediminas’ Avenue, Prospect) is the main street of Vilnius. It runs from the Žvėrynas Bridge (over the Neris River) to Šventaragio Street (Cathedral Square). This street was formed in 1836 as Šv. Georgijaus / Šv. Jurgio (St George’s) Prospect. While Vilnius was under Polish occupation (1920��"1939) it was called Adomo Mickevičiaus Street (in Polish ��" ‘ulica Mickiewicza’). During the Soviet régime it was renamed Lenin’s Prospect, but from 1989 it has been known by its present name of Gediminas’ Prospect.
Along this street one finds the important national institutions of the Seimas (Parliament) of the Republic of Lithuania and the National Martynas Mažvydas Library, as well as banks, hotels, luxurious shops, restaurants and cafés.
Gediminas’ Tower of the Upper Castle - The Vilnius Castle Museum was opened in 1960, and in 1968 it became a subdivision of the Lithuanian National Museum. The exposition of the Vilnius Castle Museum displays reconstruction models of Vilnius castles of the second part of the 14th and the beginning of the 17th centuries, armament, iconographic material of old Vilnius. An observation deck on the top of the tower is the best place from which to appreciate a magnificent panorama of Vilnius.
Kalnų Park and Three Crosses - The easiest way to reach Kalnų Park is from T. Kosciuškos Street. Having climbed the hill, you will find yourself on the stage. In summer, a number of different concerts and festivals are held here. The area of the Park is adjacent to adjoins Užupis (Krivių Street) and the Vilnia River. Kalnų Park is made up of several hills. The most magnificent of them is the Hill of Three Crosses.
It is believed that the three crosses were first erected here in the 17th century to commemorate a group of monks from a nearby monastery, who were martyred in the 14th century. According to legend, seven were killed and seven were tied to wooden crosses and floated down the Neris River, with the instruction to return to the west from whence they had come. The monument has changed many times. The current one was built by the architect and sculptor, A. Vivulskis in 1989 at the beginning of the Rebirth movement. It was built to replace the one that had been removed by the Soviet authorities in the 1950s, pieces of which still remain on the slope on the far side. The Hill of Three Crosses is also known as Kreivasis (crooked) Hill, or Plikasis (bare) Hill or Tauro Hill (the gleaming white monument marks the site of the former Crooked Castle, which is believed to have stood there (in Latin, referred to as the curvum castrum).
Stalas (Table) Hill was given this name because of its shape. The top is as even as a table.
The Hill of Gediminas’ Grave marks the burial site of Duke Gediminas. This hill is not only for those who want to enjoy a superb view of the wide panorama of the city, but also for members of the religious Balts communities who gather there, near the pagan altar to celebrate their festivals.
Bekešas Hill was named after Kasparas Beketas, one of the famous Commanders of the then joint Lithuanian and Polish State, who was buried there in 1580. He came from a famous family of Hungarian noblemen. He was buried here because he practised Arian religion and the Catholic Church of the time did not give permission to have his remains buried in their churchyard. In the middle of the 19th century, the monument together with the grave of Kasparas Beketas fell into the Vilnia River.
National Museum of Lithuania - The Museum houses main collections of archaeology, history and ethnic culture of Lithuania. It is situated in the historical centre of Lithuania ��" in the buildings of the Vilnius Castle complex. Today the Museum has over 998 thousand exhibits. It organises expeditions of ethnic culture researchers and historians, carries out archaeological excavations. More than half the exhibits of the museums of Lithuania to be restored, are restored at the Restoration Centre. There is a specialised library and the archive at the Museum. Expositions of archaeology, history, ethnic culture and thematic exhibitions illustrate the development of history and culture of Lithuania. More than 250 thousand people visit the Museum every year. The Museum has guided tours.
Pilies and Didžioji Streets - Didžioji (‘Main’) Street is one of Vilnius’ oldest streets. It starts at Subačiaus Street and extends to Šv. Jono (Saint John’s) Street. Its further extension is Pilies (‘Castle’) Street, which formerly was considered to be one street along with Didžioji Street, and it was called Didžioji Pilies gatvė (‘Castle Main Street’). These two streets are among the most visited by local townspeople and by visitors. Here you will find all that you seek: luxurious boutiques, coffee shops, cultural centres, embassies, night clubs, souvenir sellers and the happy hubbub of the city.
St Catherine’s Church and Square of Stanisław Moniuszko - The church of Saint Catherine is the first church to have been extensively restored since Lithuania regained its independence. The church was substantially renovated, with complex restoration work being performed on the interior. The central altar of the church was fully refurbished. In 2006 the Vilnius City Municipality transferred the right of administration of Saint Catherine’s churchto the “Vilnius Teachers’ House” organisation. The central nave of the church of Saint Catherine is ideal for concerts. The acoustics are excellent, and the venue is used for cultural events, as well as for rehearsals and concerts of the Šv. Kristoforo kamerinis orkestras (Saint Christopher’s Chamber Orchestra), the choir “Jauna muzika” (“Young Music”), the boys’ and young people’s choir “Ąžuoliukas” (“Little Oak”) and other artistic collectives and performers.
S. Moniuškos Square (Square of Stanisław Moniuszko) - S. Moniuškos Square is next to Saint Catherine’s church. The Square has been refurbished with new paths joining the neighbouring streets to Saint Catherine’s church. It has been paved with granite blocks and paving slabs, the decorative granite fountain has been reconstructed, and complex work has been undertaken on strengthening and repairing the fence between the Benedictine monastery and the Square. Lighting has been installed in the Square and the façade of Saint Catherine’s church has been illuminated. Fifteen park benches have been placed in the Square for the convenience of passers-by.
Stiklių, Žydų, Gaono Streets - These streets formed part of the mediaeval Jewish Quarter, which lay west of Didžioji Street, as far as Dominikonų and Vokiečių streets. During World War II (until 1941) there was an area known as the “Jewish Ghetto” centred on Stiklių, Gaono, Antokolskio and Žydų streets, housing around 11,000��"12,000 people, a mixture of intelligentsia, manual workers and unemployed people. In Žydų Street there was the Principal Synagogue, which accommodated about 3000��"5000 worshippers. Eighteen Torah scrolls were kept there. Alongside was the prayer house of the Gaon, the famous Strašūnas Library, and other buildings of religious significance belonging to the Synagogue. All this was destroyed by the Soviet occupation régime. Today the site of the Principal Synagogue is home to a kindergarten, and alongside, where the house of the Gaon stood, there is a monument to him. The narrow and crooked little streets with arches spanning them have kept their original character. In Stiklių and Gaono streets some of the earliest houses are still there, albeit in some cases modified to restore their earlier architecture.
The Amber Museum - Gallery - The Museum was founded in 1988. The exhibits on display at the Amber Museum-Gallery tell visitors about the morphology of amber. It is revealed in the exhibits of various sizes, forms and colour. The unique collection of inclusions and the reconstruction of Juodkranė treasure are on display here. Visitors can also see the ceramics baking shop of the end of the 15th century found in the basement of the Museum, authentic earthenware. Exhibitions of the works of artists working with amber are constantly held at the Gallery. One can also buy amber jewellery of modern and classical design here.
The Bastion of Vilnius City Wall - The Bastion is an original Renaissance fortification. It consists of a tower installed in the city wall, the underground gun ports and a corridor connecting them, which becomes a 48-metre long tunnel. The Bastion was built in the first half of the 17th century, and you are rewarded with a stunning view of the Old Town from its terrace.
The Cathedral ( St. Stanislaus and St. Vladislav Cathedral) - It is thought that the first church was established in 1251 by Grand Duke Mindaugas, following his conversion. Many Grand Dukes of Lithuania were crowned and many of them are buried there. With the passing of time the cathedral had to be rebuilt several times due to fires, and was remodelled in more modern styles. In the 18th century the building took on its present form in the strict classical style. The Cathedral has more than ten chapels in their original form, which contain many historic and art monuments.
The St Casimir’s Chapel is the most significant one. In the fourth decade of the 20th century the Sovereigns Mausoleum, beneath St Casimir’s Chapel, was fitted out to hold human remains, and now contains the bones of Grand Duke Alexander Jogailaitis, and Elizabeth and Barbora, two of the wives of Sigismund Augustus. There is also the urn containing the heart of Grand Duke Vladoslav Vasa.
In another part of the crypt, an early fresco, The Crucifixion, was discovered only in 1985. Its date has been estimated as the end of the 14th century, and thus it is the oldest wall painting in the country. Painted in the fresco secco technique, it shows Christ, Mary and St John.