Miami South Beach

Miami Beach Travel Blog

I stopped in Miami Beach during my few days off I had last week. It's about a 3 hours south of Cape Canaveral. There I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Oceanfront on the 11th floor. What an amazing view! I could soak in the sun on my own personal balcony as well as enjoy the fabulous view of the beach and all the people walking around. Driving into Miami South Beach you drive past all the houses on the water with speed boats parked out back, wish I had one of those.

If you visit you must stop by Ocean Dr. Just a couple hundred feet from the beach, Ocean Dr. stretches along the shore filled with hotes, restaurants, and lots of people.
There are many choices on places to eat, so don't just stop at the first one you find. The menus seemed to be pretty similar and generally boast about their seafood specials.

I ate at an Italian type restaurant along Ocean Dr. and sat with my co-workers along the sidewalk. There we enjoyed a few grande Mojitos with foot long sugarcane. However, we made the mistake of letting the waiter recommend our dish. We were hyped up on the fun of Miami and just thought why not. It was a Seafood Special for 2 people and their were 3 of us, so how bad could it be? When it arrived there was a decent serving of lobster, but the remaining snapper, salmon, and other fish wasn't very good and over-cooked. When the bill arrived, whew! Good thing I had drank a few mojitos, but the total for the special was well over 200 dollars.
So buyer beware, "market" price in Miami really means "mark-it up" price.

Another thing to watch out for is the happy hour specials they heavily advertise. 50% off all drinks during happy hour! How bad could that be!? Well, if the drink starts off at $30 a drink ... then 50% doesn't mean much and puts the price at about an over-priced regular drink. However, the servings were quite large, they served the drinks in foot tall margarita style glasses, and all the snacks were only $5 each. But wow, expensive drinks!

It was spring break in the US while I was there, so it was packed full of people. I walked up and down the beach a few times, enjoying the warm sun and cool water. The weather was perfect, tons of beautiful people, lots of food choices. The nightlife in Miami is amazing. Tons of bar and clubs to choose from and it goes on late into the morning. I wish I had more time to explore other places to party, but with limited time I could only see certain places, will require more research!