On Tour... Safari style

Koh Phangan Travel Blog

Me and Helen on an Elephant

This morning I was picked up from my new hotel in Thong Sala after moving yesterday afternoon at 8.30am. The hotel had been really good and helped me book the tour and also a ticket to Kuala Lumpur for a few days later so I was all set. The company picked me up from the hotel before going on to meet 3 more girls at the next place. Laura, Becca and Helen I later found out. We were taken to an Elephant camp where we could ride an elephant for 15 minutes up and down a local hill.

An Elephant
It was very exciting as the sheer size of them is so amazing, and yet they are such sturdy, agile creatures. It's such a shame these beautiful creatures are hunted just for their ivory. So when I saw necklaces and bracelets available for sale made of ivory I didn't even think twice about getting one.

We left the elephants with some others which made us a bigger group before heading to Phaeng waterfall which was really pretty and secluded in the jungle, it was there I saw a huge lizard wandering around that made me jump at first. Everybody else found it funny! We was here for about half an hour and was able to take a swim in the waters if we wanted too, before we left for the Chinese temple.

When they said we was going to a Chinese Temple I was a bit confused.

Phaeng waterfall
About what a Chinese Temple might be doing in Thailand. But that was not as worrying as the temple itself. Inside were Buddhist and Hindu images, so some Chinese and others Indian. Made me wonder why and I've tried searching it on Wikipedia and can't find any information on it, so will be one of my ongoing mysteries! Lol. It was pretty anyway. Glad we went.

After that we went for lunch at Utopia Restaurant which was fantastic. Not only great location on a cliff above the beaches and bays, but was really nice and they served fantastic food. A chicken curry in a peanut sauce, chicken in a sweet and sour sauce and shrimps as well, all with rice and fresh mineral water. It was lovely. Filled up on this feeling good as was quiet healthy and probably one of the best meals I'd had in days.

After lunch the truck took the others back to Thong Sala as they had only booked half day tours whereas I had booked a full day.

Phaeng waterfall
So the guide and I went to Chaloklum Bay to snorkel among the reef. I couldn't believe how many fish and creatures there was and so close to the sand. We didn't have to swim out far at all. So many different colors and shapes. Was totally different to what I was expecting. I even managed to cut my feet on some coral as I was climbing back up the beach after. Some that had washed ashore. After this I was able to have a watermelon shake before getting back onto the truck that picked us up to go to Phaeng Noi and Phaeng Yai waterfall. Which are both in the National Park which 4 kings had visited because they are so brilliant. But when I got there, there wasn't any water flowing down them, so were just big piles of rocks. I was quite disappointed because I'd heard so much about these being the best! They were still pretty natural landmarks and at least I can say I'd seen them.
Phaeng waterfall
But by that time of day I was becoming quite tired and just wanted to get back and have a shower and a nap.

I was back about 5 and so had a shower and nap before I went for dinner at a local Pizzeria de Febro, which Lonely Planet highly recommended as did 2 guys that were leaving as I arrived. But I thought it was awful. My pizza arrived, just a margaretia, really big, which would have been good except that where the base was stretched so thin, the melted cheese and sauce made the base all soggy and horrible. Not what I wanted. Especially cold either. I ended up leaving most of it and grabbing a pancake on the way back to the hotel from a street stall, which was much nicer!

Lizard!