OzXposure, Day 1...

Perth Travel Blog

the bus

Wow what a day, was up early this morning which was quite difficult as the girl I was sharing a room with last night was still asleep and she had gone to bed early the night before aswell so i hadn't been able to pack my bags. So this morning, I did as much as I could outside of the room before packing my bag. So went to the phone and booked a taxi, then got into the shower. By time I got out she had woken up as she had decided she was going to phone sick into work.

Pinnicales
Which gave me a chance to pack my bag which I was still doing when my taxi turned up. Then She had the nerve to turn round and say I should have done it the night before! This put me into a bad mood, and then when I went to tell the taxi 2 mins and take my bag through the taxi driver was an arse as well. He sat in his cab watching me struggle with my bags in the rain, then tried to kick me out round the corner telling me it was just over the bridge when I knew it wasn't. And then when we were almost there he was asking if he had to drop me of inside or could drop me of outside! So when I did get out I was extremely surprised when I didn't give him a tip. I wanted to scream at him by then. I finished packing my bag though and cleared my head before heading over to the group forming for the tour. Once on the bus I started to talk to other people.

There is 4 of us going to Exmouth as the rest are stopping at Monkey Mia, theres only 9 of us altogether.

Pinnicales
And when we come back there will only be 3. Theres one girl Mette from Denmark who is really nice, a nanny and has been working in Australia for 12 months and is doing this tour as a last stop before flying home, A lady called Shona and another guy Brian. Both who are scottish and very upbeat and lovely. Being older than me they have so many interesting stories and are so knowledgeable I'm glad to be on this tour as am already learning alot. But they do it in such an interesting way. Shona's a teacher and I think that helps. She probably teaches kids with the same mental attention span as me! We drove for 2/3 hours before reaching Namburgh national park, home to the Pinnacles on the west coast, which where fascinating, sand dunes built over 30 thousand years from limestone. We were just beginning a lazy tour through these magnificent constructions in the drizzly rain when it began to hamper down in floods.
Pinnicales
We had to cower for shelter before running back to the mini-bus, to get dry clothes to change into for our continuing journey.

We took back to the road and continued on past fields, with sheep and desert land, in between towns (without seeing a kangaroo!) until we stopped to gaze over the Leaning Trees of Greenough which were something else carved by nature, by fierce winds speeding over the land. We continued forward stopping at the Thirsty Camel to pick up some nutritional evening drinks, to go with our planned dinner for the evening then up to HMAS Sydney Memorial. Completed November 2001 it stands overlooking the bay of Geraldton where in???? a ship and its crew of 645 men disappeared of the bay with no trace. The sculpture itself is a dome crafted of 645 seagulls, 1 to each represent 1 man from the ship.

Pinnicales
There is also a statue of the waiting women, overlooking the sea for when the crew returns.

We left with the rain following behind us and as we stopped at a petrol station we were able to see a complete rainbow reaching across the sky, before we had to disappear into the distance away from it towards Kalbarri, 60K south of here we passed the pink lakes on the way, which looked fantastic beneath the sunset (even though they really smelt) but it was something I just couldn't get a good picture of and was so disappointed. By the time we reached where was staying though I couldn't care as I was so tired. We sat up and made chicken stir-fry, whilst drinking a beer and playing the didge. When I say we, I mean the men on our tour, after all Aborigine's believe that a women who plays the didge can't become pregnant. After dinner we all headed to bed to make sure we were all wide eyed for our next day!

Leaning Tree, its true!
Leaning Tree, its true!
Leaning Tree, its true! See
Leaning Tree, its true! See
Clouds
Clouds
HMAS Sydney Memorial
each seagul represents 1 of the 64…
each seagul represents 1 of the 6…
Love this picutre