One way or another...

Talisay Travel Blog

These guys are gonna be the end of me. And by guys, I mean Yheleen, Rochelle and Dennie. We'd all arranged to meet at 8am in the cafe downstairs and meeting us there would be Mickey too, a fellow tber who we met last night at the meet up. But when my alarm went of at 7.30 I was so tired from the night before I really struggled to get up. A cold shower soon sent me on my way though and we all spent an hour giggling over breakfast about the night before and the fun we'd had. Trying to name people over pictures taken the night before.

Some people really stick in your mind but some others are just harder to remember. For example, Mickey, extremely hard to forget only because he was the tallest guy there and I felt so short! For the first time in ages! Or Andi because he was such a great dancer, with moves you wouldn't forget!!! Anyway after having more of the menu translated to English and eating my sausage and garlic rice, we headed to the bus station to catch the bus to Talisay which was about 2 hours way. Being tired still I stole a bit of time for a nap but was disturbed by a film they were showing when I awoke, a town being eaten by a giant snake! How they could show something so disgusting on a bus where children may be traveling I don't know. Seriously after the part where the snake picked a guy up and coiled itself around his body and a tree branch with such force his brains exploded out of his head was enough for me, and made me glad to be getting of the bus at the next stop!!! From there we took a Jepneey from here up to nearer Teal Lake which we would need to cross to get into the volcano, before that though we decided to get some dinner and I had some lovely steak tips and mashed potato, which tasted sooo good.
The first sort of homely meal I'd had since leaving home that I'd needed so badly. Afterwards I felt so much better and was wondering if maybe they did take away!!! We then had to embark on a three wheeled motorbike with a sidecar, all 5 of us hanging on to different parts. First time I'd ever been on one like it and defiantly the last time if I can help it. The driver, who would also be our boat across the lake then drove us down to his longboat with legs like a spider to help it balance that would take us across the lake. I was surprised at the stillness of the water and haven't seen anything like it before. It wasn't until we was across the other side that I realized this lake was the center of a much larger volcano of which another volcano, which we was heading to had formed in the center. If you wanna get really confusing, its an Island inside another Island inside another Island. As Wikipedia describes =

Taal Volcano is an active volcano on the island of Luzon in the Philippines.

It is situated between the towns of Talisay and San Nicolas in Batangas. It consists of an island in Lake Taal, which is situated within a caldera formed by an earlier, very powerful eruption. It is located about 50 km from the capital, Manila. It also has the distinction of being home to the "Largest island in a lake on an island in a lake on an island".
This is referring to Vulcan point, an island in crater lake.

The volcano has erupted violently several times, causing loss of life in the populated areas surrounding the lake, the current death toll standing at around 5,000 - 6,000. Because of its proximity to populated areas and eruptive history, the volcano has been designated a Decade Volcano worthy of close study to prevent future natural disasters. It was thought to be named as "a volcano inside a volcano" because many believed that the lake that circles the volcano was once a crater or mouth of a volcano.

The volcano itself last erupted only 30 years ago in 1977 and has claimed so many lives and is still considered to be very active.

And you can see this from some of the paths and the crater itself.

To reach the crater, we all rode horses up the side which took about 40 minutes from bottom to top, which was an experience by itself. Not being able to hold onto the reigns and even worse not being able to use your feet for balance as the stirrups were to short. The guides leading the horses were not quite what I expected, especially since one of them was 9 months pregnant. It made me fell quite sad again, as back home women leave work at about 7/8 months, but here they obviously can't afford to and will work until giving birth so they are able to support their families as much as possible. But for her to be climbing a volcano, and not an easier job, like selling the tickets or hats to those tourists climbing up. Especially once we started climbing up the hill and had to put a lot of effort into balancing because it was so steep and rocky.

I was really glad we hadn't decided to climb it on foot otherwise I would have given up before we even got half way and would have missed out on the best bit.

The view from the top was fantastic, seeing for miles in all directions, over the lakes and greenery that had blossomed since the last eruption. Looking into the crater you could see the steam rising from the edge of the water and little cones near by where smoke was escaping high into the atmosphere. You could even see where molten had risen from the crater and settled at the lakes edge and firmed into rock. It was truly fascinating and unlike anything else I have seen before. In someways I doubt I will see anything like it again. But in some ways it almost scary to think that you can be that realistically close to being a statistic, a number towards the list of casualties from such a natural disaster and the respect you need to have for the earth and the power it holds to destroy and change everything around it, when coming across these things.

Still we stayed for a few hours, taking in the magnificent views and coconut drinks available freshly pierced in front of you, with the skin being provided as a spoon to dig out the coconuts fruity inside.

After this we headed back to our horses for some poses before heading back down the mountain, but because of the steepness I had to get of my horse as I felt so unsafe and trekked the rest of the way down. I lost my jacket several times, which Mickey found funny that I still had, and even today (when I'm catching my blog up 2 weeks later) I still have. The rest of the girls met us at the bottom after they had raced their horses down. Before we got back into the boat to cross the lake.

Crossing the lake we could hear thunder and see lightening in the distance, as we made our way across. It was just as we reached the other side that it began to pour it down and we climbed into a beach hut for shelter.

We were here an hour sitting in the rain, backing further into shelter as the winds changed and begin to enter through the open windows, and the lightening the loudest I ever heard thundered in the background. It was loud and the rain was torrential so all we could do for an hour was wait for it to stop! But afterwards we managed to get back to our 3 wheel motorbike and onto the bus home. By the time we did though, it was allready 9.30pm and we had an even bigger day tommorrow....

nomaden says:
urgghh! all i have is a my memory of this trip (w/c is so nice). all my pictures were erased.. slate clean! :(
Posted on: Jan 13, 2009
yheleen says:
i love remembering the trip ;) yea.. i thought the pictures are okay now.. hmmm, did David say anything? i guess he's still out of town then...

but great blog nickie ;)
Posted on: Aug 07, 2008
jilltrekker says:
Me too! Noticed the same thing. I thought at first something was wrong with my internet connection.
Posted on: Aug 05, 2008