Sun, moon and the Sacrifice

San Juan Teotihuacan Travel Blog

Abril takes in the sun!
After driving back to Mexico City the day before, it was time to experience some of Mexico's culture. Abril had decided that today I would visit the Pyramids at Teotihuacan. I was pretty excited because this is the real reason why you travel; that and to try the local beer and locals.

Manual packed the car and we started out from the apartment, passing the seven stray dogs with matted coats the made the alley way their home. We stopped a few minutes later to fill the car up with petrol (Gas for Americans), this is an experience too. Firstly, because you never leave the car. In the UK you do everything yourself, in Mexico you do nothing because someone can make a few pesos doing it for you! Our car was serviced by a very pretty girl in an oily boiler suit; she filled the car with gas, checked the oil, tyres then cleaned the windscreen - passing low enough over the bonnet for both Manual and I to observe what the oily rags were hiding! Abril disciplined Manual with a quick bark and a slap on the back of his chair!

Around an hour of Mexican cruising later and we arived at the pyramids.
I get some sunscreen on
Not that you'd know, because from the approach all you can see is a giant car park. As you walk in through the seventies style shopping complex offering rock statues and silver necklaces, passed the toilets and out the other side you get your first chance to see the stone pyramids. They are impressive, if not a little stout. Actually walking toward them is another story because in true Mexican tradition, thirty men and women try to sell you everything from corn on the cob to silver jewelry, made heavy by them pressing it into your hand!

There are two main pyramids. One represents the Moon, where energy is relased and the other, the Sun, where you are recharged. To do this you have to walk over a mile of small walls and climb the moon pyramid. Stand with your hands up in the air and breath in and out. Then do the same on the Sun.
The Sun
After this you are renewed and ready to battle your way back through the street sellers. Ok, I admit some of the things they sell are quite nice and it wasn't like I could come all the way to Mexico and go home without a guinine authentic, hand carved in China ornament for my office!

Worth mentioning, is the a restuarant called La Grotta that's just outside of the pyramids. It's set inside the enterance of a huge cavern, the food is not bad and it's a great place to relax after walking all day around the dusty stone buildings.

View from the moon