The Flume

Lincoln Travel Blog

Making our way from Cannon Mountain back south on I-93 a few exits we made it to the Flume visitors center just in the knick of time before the park closed.  We purchased our tickets grabbed some maps and headed up the trail.  By this time I was struggling hard just to keep walking but I was bound and determined to make it up to the Flume and Avalanch Falls.

Moving much slower than before it took us a little while to walk the mile (give or take) trail up to the Flume.  Once we started getting closer though we would stop and snap a few pics, rest and then move on until finally we made it to the falls.  We spent a few minutes at the top to rest and take some more pictures and then talked about which ay we wanted to head back to the car.

e could take the trail we just came in on or we could head down the alternate trail towards liberty gorge, we chose the Liberty Gorge trail.

The Liberty Gorge trail is just as stunning as the Flume trail.  Along the way we were stalked by a pair of noisy chimpmunks who did not appear to want to share the trail with us.  After finally making ot to Liberty Gorge we walked down the short path that overlooks the gorge, rested and took some mor epics.  We were getting really tired by now but the end was almost in sight.

Moving further down the trail we crossed a covered bridge and made it to the other side of the river only to find a cave called the wolfs den, I didnt care how tired or how much pain I was feeling  I was not going to pass up the chance to crawl through another dark, wet, cold cave!

The end of the cave was a little tricky trying to crawl over and under rocks just to get back on the trail was hysterical, we laughed at each other so hard i am surprised people didnt wonder what was going on down the trail.  That was our last "crazy" event for the day and we slowly limped our way back to the car to begin the two hour drive back to Hudson.

After leaving Cannon Mountain we headed a short ways down I-93 south and stopped off at the trail to the Basin.  It was a quick walk down the trail, but I was already starting to hurt from walking the Lost River trail.  We took our time, took lots of pictures, and made our way to the Basin.

This is one attraction that you dont need to pay an entry fee, there are no caves to crawl in but its still an interesting site to check out.  It was formed by the waters of the Pemigewasset River and it looks like a big bowl made out of smooth rock.  Finding the Basin is very easy, its only one exit down from the arial tramway and its a dedicated exit.  It was a nice easy and flat walk and there were quite a few people walking the trail with us enjoying the beautiful day.

photo by: jamartin39