AsiaChinaGuilin

Racism along the river

Guilin Travel Blog

Grandpa teaches class

I am so pleased to be traveling this week with my Shanghai friend, Shawn.

Great taxi service
He has brought along his laptop, so I can upload photos immediately. It's fun to share these pics with you so quickly, so thanks for checking them out!

But more importantly, I am fortunate to have a native Chinese person with me, to help me overcome the HUGE language difficulties I have experienced in this country. As a foreigner, it has been nearly impossible to get around - with his help, however, things have gone much more smooth.

Making little girls cry
Today, Shawn and I left the city of Guilin to begin a 4-hour journey down the Li River to Yangshou. On the shuttle bus, I sat near a 3-year old girl who was absolutely in shock to see her first non-Chinese person. Unfortunately, her grandfather next to her muttered something along the lines of "Oh no, a damn foreigner" and the little girl immediately began crying with fear. I did my best to say "Ni Hao" (Hello), etc - but her racist grandfather kept muttering negative comments about white people being "the devil" etc. Shawn and I wanted to smack the old man, but that would only prove that his fear-mongering was right!

On the ship I realized that I was, indeed, the only non-Asian on board. Despite the fact that we were surrounded by some jaw-dropping scenery, I frequently found that people were taking pictures of me instead of the mountains! "Hello, hello" I would hear - and then I'd look up to see small children waving at me from the upper deck.
Friendly Yitian

But it also worked in reverse. At one point I was a bit afraid to say hello to a nice-looking lad nearby, for fear of having nothing in common to talk about. But once I
initiated, I discovered that he was quite adept at English. Turns out, he had been hoping to have a picture with me, as well. So here's a shot of my new friend "Yitian."

Obviously there are many types of racism. Some are quite vile and ignorant, while other types are just based on fear of not knowing what to say. Maybe the more we travel, we can help to erase a little of both!

Fishing with Birds
This is kind of cool, I think. Around Guilin, some fisherman are well-known for using trained comorants (wearing collars with leashes) to go out and snatch fish on their command. The birds will return the fish to the boat, in exchange for a small treat.

Friendly Yitian
Now THATs a wedgie! Ouch!
Now THAT's a wedgie! Ouch!
7 Star Park, Flower Bridge