Jolly ol' England (London)

London Travel Blog

"Mind the gap!"

It's time to learn the "other" English language once again, as I'm back in London for the first time in many years. It didn't take long to be impressed. At Heathrow airport, I asked a Londoner how late the Tube operated, as I was trying to get to the hotel late at night. Once she heard I was going to the SoHo area, she said "Just ride with me, my driver is waiting right outside." So off we went, my new friend Jane and I, in our little limo. Jane is an art consultant, and a lovely woman for not laughing at my naiveté. "What's the difference between a quid, a pound and a pence?" (= A buck, a dollar and a penny.) And she didn't scoff when I looked out my window and gasped at the sight of Harrods. Fantastic!

I had a quick walk about to check out the nightlife, and it is apparently kicking. Even at 3am the streets of SoHo were loud and festive. The mega nightclub Heaven was closed (imagine that, ME - locked out of Heaven!), so I went to 79CXR. Boy, with a $6 cover and $7 drinks, I would never run the risk of becoming an alcoholic here.

More later, my Internet time is running out...

photo by: ulysses