Back in BKK!

Bangkok Travel Blog

I'm back in Thailand!

This is truly one of my favorite countries in the world. In fact, I have spent more time here than any other country than the US.

When Thailand Was “Home”
Bangkok may not seem a very inviting city to many. It is terribly congested, polluted and overloaded with traffic. But this was my home for almost two years (1989 & 1990), when I lived and worked at radio and TV stations in Bangkok. I got to know this city fairly well (although it has changed much since then), and I have learned how to look beyond the difficulties.

So, luckily I am able to ride the subway with ease, order food, and make small conversation with just about anyone. But even without that experience, any visitor would find that English is widely-spoken, and bi-lingual signs are everywhere. Once you scratch the surface, anyone would love a visit to Bangkok, as well.

Bangkok: The real name

What's in a name?
Many Thai people do not even know the name "Bangkok.

Lumpini Park
" Most locals only know the city by it's local name "Krung Thep." But did you know that is only a nickname? The real FULL name of this city is:

"Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit"

which translates, roughly, to:

"The city of angels, the great city, the residence of the Emerald Buddha, the impregnable city (of Ayutthaya) of God Indra, the grand capital of the world endowed with nine precious gems, the happy city, abounding in an enormous Royal Palace that resembles the heavenly abode where reigns the reincarnated god, a city given by Indra and built by Vishnukarn."

Whew! It is no wonder most Thais just stick with "Krung Thep" (City of Angels). In case you are wondering, "Bangkok" ("Plum Village") was a small village just across the river from the original Krung Thep.

Note: I just copied and pasted from Google - NO WAY did I type all of that!

photo by: halilee