Snow and Swiss history

Zurich Travel Blog

The snow Cpovered Alps

I awoke at dawn (approx 6am) while the night train was hurtling through the southern swiss countryside. when I exited the cabin the first thing I noticed was the view! It was absoloutly breathtaking! The swiss alps were rising above the train like snow covered giants. I have never see mountains so beautiful and huge! The lower ground had a little snow and as we passed through the small villages and towns the backdrop of these giants made them seem so minute. It was a sight that really made my journey worthwhile!

After leaving the night train at Zurich, I had a shower at the train station. I was pleasantly suprised by the modern shower facilities available.

Not great pictures but hey you can still see the snow
I felt very refreshed after that as headed out into the cold swiss air. The first thing I noticed was an old building, quite like a small castle, which upon a little investigation I realised it was a museum of swiss history. I thought to myself 'what the hell' and went into the first museum of my trip. The inside was quite modern at the reception and had a quaint little cafe full of mouth watering cakes and delicacies. I wandered into the reception and bought a ticket and was pointed to the direction of the museum entrance. Unfortunately I ended up taking the wrong direction and ended up at the more recent artifacts. These ranged from swedish traditional dress to military uniforms and weapons. All quite interesting in their own way but after seing a few they did get rather boring.
A model from the museum
Next I stumbled upon rooms that used to house important people (turns out the museum was a stately home or palace of some sort -  I couldnt tell due to a lot of the signage being in German!) Miniture models, clocks, paintings and furniture seemed to be the theme throughout the place! I wandered into a nother level which turned out to be afar earlier period in time. In fact this place displayed more stone and early metal tools used by the lost civilisations of switzerland. On one dispaly there even was an actual grave with real skelaton and all. I thought it quite interesting that the skeleton looked like it was praying and had the thought that this person probably died a horrible death, (I tried to see if he/she had been battered to death from any skeletal fractures but to no avail).
Model soldiers
After this I had enough of clothes, skeletons, and furnitureso headed out into the city.

As I was only there for half a day I didnt get to see a lot but I decided to walk as far as I could and see as much in as little time as possible. I wandered around the centre and by the river. I got as far as the bridge by the lake then went back to the train station. I had spotted a little market in the process of being set up when I arrived so I thought I would check this out and hopefully get to try some swiss spoils. When I arrived back the first thing to greet me was the pong of cheese. It was quite rank and I soon came across the source. A small stand layerd with cheeses of all different types. Goats cheese, cows cheese, sheep cheese (???) and any other cheese that you could ever imagine. Their scents all combined to create the worst smelly feet pong ever! The market also included various meat stands selling dried beef, salami, and some other mountain animal meat. I had a sample and it vas quite powerful flavour! Among the food stands small stalls containing various hand crafted goods were being sold. Mostly wooden items, but quite a variation. It was a nice experience except for the language barrier. When asking what animal some meat was from , an elderly lady gracefully replied in German, quite oblivious to the fact that I did't understand what she said! I Just nodded and wandered on.

The snow Cpovered Alps
Not great pictures but hey you can…
Not great pictures but hey you ca…
The praying skeleton