Cruising and eating

Kailua-Kona Travel Blog

A spinning dolphin
Woke up still feeling unwell but with a schedule of sitting on a boat to go whale and dolphin watching and then sitting and watching a Luau, I decided that it would be an easy day and there would be no reason to stay indoors.  Unfortunately, I was wrong and was very lethargic all day - maybe because of the meds.

Whale and Dolphin Watch

The whale and dolphin boat ride was set as a 3-hour cruise along the western coastline of the island.  The idea was that with boats in constant communication and our own eyes watching the horizon we would easily find some whales and dolphins.

Soon after we left the dock we saw a nice-sized pod of spinner dolphins.  Several of them breached the surface and quickly spun around in mid-air before splashing back into the waters.

Unfortunately, we were not so lucky with watching whales this day.  There were some communications that whales were spotted but they were too distant for us to catch up to them within the allotted time.  Fortunately, the boat company gave a guarantee meaning that we could go out again in another boat ride to try to see the whales.

The Luau

We all got dressed up in any tropical wear that we had in our possession at the time.  The host, musicians and dancers were entertaining as they went through several traditional dances.

As for the food, because of my slight fever the food tasted bland.  Only the earth oven cooked pig had been able to penetrate to my taste buds.  It was tender and that is about all I can say about the food.

The Luau finished around 8 pm - still early.  But again, when we got back to our resort I went to sleep while the rest went out.  Having a fever sucks!

Daniel, Cilvia and Patricia
Daniel, Cilvia and Patricia
Searching the horizon for whales
Searching the horizon for whales
Uncovering the earth oven
Uncovering the earth oven
Sunset
Sunset
My sisters and I with some nice lo…
My sisters and I with some nice l…
Kailua-Kona