El Calafate Travel Blog

Perito Moreno Glacier

The tour to the Glacier was really good. The guys from my room were on the tour and a couple of people that also survived the Ruta 40 trip, we also saw more people there! We drove into the National Park and stopped to get our first pictures of the glacier from a distance, it was incredible, you don´t realise how big it is until you get close up to it. We then did a short walk to a view point and stopped to watch and wait for bits of the glacier to drop off, several pieces did and although they looked small the sound was very loud. The glacier is advancing all the time, as usual I can´t remember all the interesting facts even though the guide spoke in English and Spanish. We continued to walk to the main balcony area and had time to wander round and take more pictures closer to the bottom of the glacier. The weather started to change and we still had time to kill before the boat ride, the tour was a bit long really. I donned all the waterproof gear I had for the boat trip and stood outside for the journey along the bottom of the glacier, everyone else stayed inside, except me and the japanese tourists!

The Argentinian guide was really good but he took a disliking to me when he found out I was English, can´t think why?!

After Perito Moreno, we got bus tickets to leave for Ushuaia, the end of the world!

Compulsory cheesy tourist pic