Peninsula Valdes

Puerto Madryn Travel Blog

Seals Peninsula Valdes

Survived the border crossings again, this time not only tired but also with a hangover! I arrived in Puerto Madryn and booked myself straight on a tour for the following day to see the Southern Right Back Whales. There are hundreds in the waters around here until mid December and I wasn´t sure if we were going to see any but tours were still going and it was pot luck as to whether or not you saw the last remaining ones.

It was a long bus journey to the Peninsula from here but we stopped off at various places along the way to have a break from the ripio, the gravel road! In the museum we saw the bones of a 2 year old Whale, it was 11 metres long! Our first stop was a beach with Elephant seals and sealions, which are just starting to arrive in the area to breed, over the next few months more will arrive and the huge beach will be covered.

Armadillo
They were really interesting to watch, particularly the males who were very protective over the females. We also saw an Armadillo on the way back to the bus, funny little creature. We drove around the peninsula and saw more seals and then some penguins, which we were able to get close up to. Some of them have just had chicks and I managed to spot one fluffly little grey thing, it was so cute. I love penguins they are so comical to watch. I could have taken a tour the following day to an even bigger Penguin colony but you have to travel a long way to get there, so I decided not to do it. In the afternoon, we took a boat out to find the Whales, groups that had been out in the morning had seen a mother and baby so we were in with a chance. I have never been on such a rough boat ride but I loved it and wasn´t at all sea sick, the boat was bouncing right out of the water and then crashing down with the waves coming on board.
We seemed to spend a long time getting out and were beginning to think that we weren´t going to see them and then the baby whale was along side us, incredible. It didn´t look like a baby though it was massive. I have a good picture of its head coming out of the water but I don´t have the classic tail shot. It was really difficult to take pictures because of the swell and plus I wanted to enjoy the short time we had actually watching the whale rather than trying to take impossible pictures. After what seemed like a very short time, we returned but the wind was against us, so the journey back still bouncing in and ou tof the water seemed to take twice as long, but we all agreed that it was worth it.

Yesterday, I managed to get a ticket to my final destination, Buenos Aires.

I thought it would be a bit of a lottery because people in the hostel had told me that they hadn´t been able to get tickets to the their chosen destinations but I had no problem. I leave tonight to spend the rest of my time left there. So this afternoon I have to try and organise soemwhere to stay. I´m not sure who I will be spending Christmas with but met an Aussie guy who will be there for New Year.

I have one final mission before I leave and that is to take the bus (20 hours each way) to Iguazu Falls and then I am never taking a bus again for the rest of my life!

Well have a great Christmas, if I don´t get chance to email again from BA, I´ll see you all in the New Year!

Southern Right Back Whale