Jungle Trip

Puerto Maldonado Travel Blog

One of many butterflies

Just back from my jungle trip it was really good. I landed in Puerto Maldonado which was really hot and humid, I got through the hoards of people at the airport trying to sell tours etc and found my guide. I was staying in a lodge on Lake Sandoval, which is a 45 minute slow boat ride down the Rio Madre de Dios, followed by a 45 minute walk through the forest and then a canoe trip of about 20 minutes. There were a few other lodges on the lake but really it was fairly isolated.

I ended up in a true eco lodge, no electricity or running water unlike the others staying at the nearby lodges who had superior everything! Very few people were staying at this lodge probably because the thought of washing in a trickle of running fresh water and an outdoor loo wasn´t appealing! It was very basic to say the least, I think we had more comfort on the Inca Trail! Still I liked it.

Baby Caiman

On the way to the lodge the guide paddled round the lake so that we could see the birds etc but generally you have to go out in early in the morning and the evening to see anything, although I had my first sighting of monkeys. The first full day I was up at 5.30am to take the boat out for a few hours to see the otters feeding, we saw quite a few. We then did a walk after breakfast into the forest for a couple of hours, so many butterflies, my favourite was a giant blue one which is impossible to photograph. We also saw a tucan and a rainbow snake, but just as we were heading back for lunch we saw the monkeys in the trees above us just near the lodge. We watched them for ages, even though they tried to spit food at us, it was excellent to watch them, especially the ones with babies.

The jungle lodge
I had the afternoon free, its too hot to do anything anyway and then I went out on the boat again with my torch so that we could see the Caimen (not sure if thats the right spelling), reptiles that live in the water, it was good fun trying to spot their eyes reflecting in the torch light. The guide caught one for us to look at properly. (Photos on new camera, I didn´t want to bring both out with me). We had dinner overlooked by a tarantula on the roof of the dining area, I kept my eye on it but it didn´t move thankfully.

The following day I was supposed to get up early and see the Macaws but it had thundered in the night and the weather wasn´t clear, so I had a later breakfast of egg and chips, quite odd, and then went on another walk. This walk wasn´t as interesting although the guide did point out a slow bear.

The largest fish in the lake and dinner!
I don´t know how he spots these things, especially on the boat when he has to paddle and watch where he´s going. It rained most of the afternoon, so there wasn´t a great deal to do until it was time to get on the boat again. Fortunately it cleared and we were able to go to the look out tower to get a good view of the lake a sunset. Afterwards we went Piranha fishing, the guide caught several and then we spotted Caimens again.

We left to early to see the monkeys and the otters again today, but I would definately like to go back to the jungle again, although I might not go as eco friendly next time. I would prefer a loo and room without cockroaches and the luxury of a pool to cool off in the afternoon!!

The jungle lodge
The largest fish in the lake and d…
The largest fish in the lake and …
Sunset over Lake Sandoval