Huacachina & Nasca

Cusco Travel Blog

Cusco

Well here I am back in Cusco to organise my jungle trip, I´ve spent a lot of time on buses in the last few days but it wasn´t as bad as I thought. After Arequipa I went to Ica and onto Huacachina, I thought it was a strange place. Nothing there but the oasis surrounded by restaurants and hostels, with the sand dunes in the background. The hostel had a pool and the weather was hot so I lazed around for a while before my afternoon of sandboarding (Phil you would be proud of me). 7 of us were taken onto the dunes in a buggy and we raced around for a while, it was like being on a rollercoaster but I loved it. In between the buggy ride our guide stopped at different dunes, each getting bigger, 5 in total. Only one person in our group was good enough to actually stand up the rest of us went on our stomachs.

Santa Domingo, Cusco
It got scarier and scarier but I did each one and even went the furthest on the last one! I haven´t got the camera with me a the moment but I´ll upload a couple of pictures next time. I thought I´d found a new hobby until I woke up with bruises the next day! Afterwards we watched the sunset over the dunes before returning to the Oasis.

I decided to skip Pisco where you can visit wineries, I figured that Chile would be the best place to do this and headed back south again to Nasca. I said before I came out here that I wasn´t bothered about doing the Nasca Lines but it would have been silly to stay in Nasca to break up the journey and not do them. I found the 35 minute flight far more interesting than the lines themselves. I was co pilot in a 4 seater plane, I had all the buttons in front of me and everything. It wasn´t as turbulent as I thought it would be but there were a few moments when we switched from left to right, that I had to avoid looking at the horizon. The pilot flies over the lines twice, once on the right and once on the left so that everyone can see them. The German guy behind me suffered a little. Like I said, I wasn´t that interested although my favourite was the hummingbird, then the monkey. It was interesting to watch the video afterwards about all the different theories on the lines and why they are there, but I still don´t really get it.

Sand Buggy, Huacachina