Hola!

Quito Travel Blog

Bet you didnt expect to hear from me yet (having problems with the keyboard, so dont bother to comment on the missing apostrophes!) I certaintly didnt think I would be sat in an internet cafe 5 hours after landing. I didnt even think Id make it out the house. Im trusting my housemates to show me the way and as Im now and fed and watered, they arent doing badly.

The journey took forever but Im here at last. The worst part was the security at Heathrow it was chaos, just what you need at 5am. I got chatting to an austrian girl on the flight from Madrid, so that passed the time when I wasnt sleeping.

I was relieved to arrive in one piece, collect my rucksack and be greeted at the airport and taken to where Im staying. Its nothing special but it its fine, there are 4 others (2 brits, 1 kiwi and 1 german), sharing the house and a character called Lorena looking after us. The only problem Ive had so far is not being able to undo the padlocks on my rucksack, which was a worry for about half an hour but all sorted now!

Im in an internet cafe in the centre of Quitos gringoland, having just eaten and had my first beer! Going against all the things the guidebook says about aclimatising, particularly at altitude. You do feel it,  although its difficult to tell if its the altitude or the chronic pollution. Ah well.

Start school tomorrow which is only about 10 mins walk away and all my housemates go there too. Not many of us in the school but one of the brits has only been here a week and is practicaly fluent, so theres hope for me.

Hasta Luego!

BLUEBARREL95 says:
congrats keep us informed as and when possible all the best Mark Sarah and kids. Ps you still owe katie swimming
Posted on: Sep 04, 2006