Fin del Mundo

Ushuaia Travel Blog

Ushuaia

Couldn´t possibly travel any further South in Argentina, I made it to the end of the world and all by bus! I have no idea of the distance from here to Quito, its a long way! The border crossings to get to Ushuaia were rather tiresome, I was trying to sleep in between and kept getting woken up to have my passport stamped as we went out of Argentina, into Chile and back into Aregentina again. Half of the time I didn´t know which country I was in or whether I was getting an exit or entry stamp! I did know when we were in Chile though because of their pathetic attempts to search our bags. This time they sent an oversized black labrador (so oversized that he had to be lifted onto the bus!) to search for whatever, I am sure the only thing that the dog would have been able to detect was biscuits! It was even more pointless because we all got of the bus with our bags, which they never searched, hence they never found the apple which I smuggled in and out of Chile!

When we eventually got to Ushuaia, we went straight to a hostel recommended to us and it was great.

Only 3040km by bus!
There seemed to be about 4 people working there and they barely spoke english. I got to practice my spanish which was good and they didn´t seem to mind my pathetic attempts at having a conversation. As soon as we arrived we were offered Mate too, I can´t remember if I´ve already mentioned that this is a traditional drink here. The end of the world is exactly as I expected it to be, its a big port and slightly touristy but it has a certain charm about it. I was surprised that it was surrounded by snow capped mountains though and that the weather was quite warm, we had one day where it rained but it wasn´t freezing.

On the first day we went to the museums, the Presidio, which is the museum about Ushuaia´s penal colony, it was really interesting and then we went to the Fin Del Mundo Museum, which wasn´t as informative and explained some of the history which we had already learnt in the other one. The following day I had planned to take a boat trip along the Beagle channel, from here its only 1000km to the Antartic, but this was the day when the weather was bad so I went to another small Museum about the Yamana people who lived in Tierra del Fuego and sat around doing not a lot! On my final day in Ushuaia, I took the bus to the National Park and did a walk along the coast which lasted about 3 hours, it was nice to actually walk around especially having spent so much time on buses lately. I met an American couple and walked with them all the way and then we met later for drinks, after having had a huge steak. It was a late night, I got home about 2 and had to get up again at 4am to catch the bus to Puerto Madryn. I was sad to leave Ushuaia after only 4 nights, there was still so much I could have done and the hostel would have been a great place to be for Christmas but people were struggling to get buses to their chosen destinations, so rather than risk being stuck at the end of the world, I decided to get moving.

I met a a very interesting lady on the bus, she was from Wales, she has been in Argentina for a couple of years teaching Welsh. She didn´t speak a word of Spanish when she arrived. She told me that Welsh is still spoken in this part of Argentina and that there are lots of tea rooms, I would have liked to have visited that part but sadly it was in the wrong direction.

photo by: xander_van_hoof