Christmas in BA and Iguazu Falls

Buenos Aires Travel Blog

Iguazu Falls (Argentinian Side)
I didn´t need to worry about soending Christmas in a card board box in a plaza somewhere becasue I found a great hostel in San Telmo, its a huge place but was practically empty, which I was surprised about. It was really nice though because it was quiet and no big fuss. Its about 30 degrees here, so too hot to do much. I spent Christmas Eve at another hostel with a friend of one of the girls from my dorm, lots of fireworks and fire crackers going off everywhere all night. Then on Christmas Day we had a picnic in one of the big parks, with champagne! I bought the most expensive bottle on the shelf and it cost about 4 quid, I thought it would be disgusting but actually it was really good!

Christmas Day most things were up and running again but I left for Iguazu Falls on Boxing Day, we ended up having to change buses because one of the windows got smashed, so it meant that we arrived late and that I couldn´t do the Falls and get back the same day, I think it was fate though because I ended up travelling with a French Guy and staying in a really good hostel.
Iguazu Falls (Brazilian Side)
I thought the temperature in BA was bad but it was 35 degrees in Puerto Iguazu! On the first day we saw the Argentinian side of the falls and got completely drenched in the spray and we saw loads of animals too, an aligator, lots of butterflies, birds, a turtle. The temperature and the terrain were very similar to the jungle. It took us all afternnon to do the various walks, then we went back to the hostel and sat by the pool with very cold beers until it was time for the Asado! Almost everyone in the hostel was having the BBQ so we all sat outside and it was really friendly, I spent most of the night talkiing to an English guy who is teaching in Sao Paulo, we all got very drunk!

Yesterday, we went to the Brazilian side of the falls, we ended up taking a taxi and hiring the driver for the whole day it cost 150 pesos about 12 quid each and it was worth every penny.
Tucan
He took us to the border and got our passports stamped for us, we didn´t even have to get out of the car and then he whisked us to the front of the queue to buy our park entrance tickets. There was lots to do on the Brazilian side but I had to get back for my bus so we just did the walk to the Devils throat, it was even more spectacular than the Argentine side. This is definately a highlight of my trip. We didn´t have time to take a boat to the bottom of the falls so we went instead to a place where we could see macaws and tucans, which was really good. The driver then took us back to Argentina and skipped a queue of traffic that would have taken us at least half an hour to get through, we felt like VIP´s.

As if my final mission couldn´t get any better, I ended up on a cama bus (really good reclining seats) and had wine with my dinner followed by a glass of champagne, why weren´t all my other bus journeys like this! You would think that I would have learnt by now which class of bus to take to get the best service but it was quite fitting as this was my last trip EVER on a bus!

So I´m now back in Buenos Aires for the New Year and will probably spend it on the roof terrace of the hostel because they are organising an Asado (just for a change).
Champagne Semi Cama!!!
Can´t believe that I´ll be home this time next week!
Boughtonbetty says:
Sitting here, listening to the rain lashing against the window, makes me very envious of you in the heat and the sun!!!
Glad your last few days are not being disappointing. Looking forward to seeing you soon. Have a great new year - I'm sure it will be extremely memorable.
Luv B and T