Capital of Aragon

Zaragoza Travel Blog

One of the main reasons I like to rent a car and drive around wherever I go on trips is to have the ability to just check out whatever I feel like on a whim. It is why I was able to check out Andorra and also why I made it to Zaragoza. First, it was a very cool drive from the foothills of the Pyrenees into lush, green farmland of northern Spain. I then at the crest of a long hill, everything transformed into the browns of a very arid area, almost desert-like!  As I drove along I spied ancient ruins on the tops of mesas and hills here and there.  I stopped briefly in Lleida but then continued on to Zaragoza.

Zaragoza is the old capital of the Kingdom of Aragon.

It has been around since the days of Carthage, was an important city in Almoravid Muslim Spain and has lots of history and cool architecture.  Sadly I got there in early evening and didn’t have nearly as much time to check it out as I would have liked.  However, what I did discover was that I really need to make a point to spend a couple days there on my next trip to Spain.  Nevertheless, I did have time to walk around the Aljaferia, La Seo and La Lonja.  The city was a lot more impressive than I could’ve guessed and there looked to be many things to do.  Again, I will need to plan another trip here most certainly!

Anyway, one of the pictures you can barely see the full moon. Unfortunately my camera doesn’t quite have the juice to capture just how cool it actually looked. Well to be honest, I’ve never seen a camera which can capture the true impressiveness as seen with the naked eye.  The moon was beautiful and glowing impressively before the sun set as well as after.

Zaragoza