Barcelona: Five Days Worth in Two!

Barcelona Travel Blog

Barcelona, what an awesome city! I was there in March and somehow I scored the sweetest weather possible at that time of year. It was about 70 degrees F (about 21-22 C) for my entire trip except the last two days. It is a large and ancient city with a really cool layout, beautiful architecture and generally friendly people. Whether fortunate or unfortunate, I tend to take whirlwind trips, covering lots of ground and seeing all I can see. That said, I landed in Barcelona, but only spent a couple of days there. They were very full days.

I stayed up in the hills above the city in a neighborhood known as Horta. I had no idea where it was, but it turned out being a great place to stay.

There were some awesome views and though I rented a car for my overall trip, I didn’t really need it once the entire time I was in Barcelona. I just cruised the neighborhood (once I finally found it) and found a place I could leave my car. From there I simply caught the metro from one of the two relatively nearby stations and went off on a patented whirlwind exploration of the city.

I started with Las Ramblas since I was hungry and heard of all the great night spots there. It ended up being lots of fun and wow, if you’re a shopper, there are a zillion boutiques around. Lots of cool stuff. Anyway, I found myself some tapas and just generally wandered around the area snapping some photos of the cool buildings and trying to get an idea of where I would go the following morning.

The next day was Palm Sunday and I made my way to the crush of people surrounding La Sagrada Familia.

While there were a TON of people there, it was a very cool experience. It was also my experience of the strange eating habits in Spain. When I mean strange, I mean that in the US, any time of any day I want to go to a restaurant and eat most any meal I choose, I can do so. In Spain, outside it seems outside the traditional eating hours, you can only find bread, not an actual meal! Not a big deal, but I found it funny.

I made my way to Parc Guell and looked at all the Gaudi architecture and art. Very very neat. I snapped lots of pictures as you can see. After that I made it down to the hill with the prominent castillo near the port. Again, also pretty cool. I also got a few really cool shots of the city as you can see Barcelona sprawl up into the hills from that vantage. In short, I will have to go back to Barcelona. I could’ve spent my entire trip there, but I had more to see and more to experience, so on the 3rd day it was time to roll.

photo by: fivepointpalm