Island Tour

Koh Samui Travel Blog

Big Budda

Today we went on an island tour. We weren't really interested in seeing all of the tourist attractions on the island as most of us had been to Thailand before and had seen plenty of temples and Buddha's on previous trips, so we limited it to one Buddha, one temple, one zoo/animal park and a couple of scenic attractions. None of us are real big fans of organised tours as you don't really have a lot of freedom to discover the places you are visiting, so when one of the staff at the Smile House Restaurant said she knew someone who could show us around, we thought why not. So after bartering with the guide we took off on our island tour.

Firstly our guide took us to Big Buddha. He told us that this Buddha was only built in 1972 and stands 12 meters high.

Granpa Rock
I was kind of disappointed from this visit as I was expecting a really big Buddha and not that it wasn't big but I've seen a lot of Buddha's in my travels and this was pretty much the same as all the others and there was no real history behind this Buddha either. I guess I just love my history too much to really appreciate the beauty of this one. We climbed the stairs to the top where the Buddha sits and there was a magnificent view of the bay.

On the way to Hin Ta and Hin Ya (Grand father and Grand mother rocks) located at Lamai we stopped at a vantage point located near a luxury hotel, which gave an another amazing view. Finally arriving at the rocks, we walked through another set of markets and set our eyes upon some truly strange shaped rocks... Hmmmm.... After a few below the belt jokes and pictures we decide to go to the Butterfly Park but not before picking up a few bargains at the markets.

Butterfly Park

Na Tian Butterfly was probably one of the most pretties butterfly parks I've been to. There were lots of butterflies flying around which was great to see and the gardens were absolutely beautiful. It was really hot by the time we arrived so climbing all those stairs made it quite sweaty work but certainly well worth it.

Glad to be back in the air conditioned van we were off to our next stop, the Namuang Waterfalls. There are two water falls at this location. Na Muang One is a small waterfall, only 18 meters high and can be accessed by vehicle. Na Muang Two is the larger of the two which is only accessed by a 30 minute walk. This waterfall is 80 meters high. We decided to go the number one waterfall as it was was too hot to be trekking through the jungle in thongs (not the underwear). We get to the waterfall and seems like everyone else had the same thought as there was people everywhere. Still sweating buckets even thought the cool breeze blowing off the water fall was refreshing we decide to move on, but not before checking out the elephants.

Now seeing all that we had wanted to see we decided to head back for a swim, massage and many cocktails. The perfect end to a hot and sticky day of touring. On the way back our guide continued in the same direction so we could see the rest of the island. He told us that there was not much to look at but we wanted to do a full circle.

Now back at the hotel my Mum went for a swim, my Aunty for a massage and me to the bar. Great day!!

one of the bells at Big Budda