PORT LOCKROY STATION

Port Lockroy Travel Blog

HAHAHAHA

A VERY LATE LANDING...NO JOKE!!!!!!!

We arrived here about 5pm. we were supposed to land here around 7pm. however, it is quite cloudy and the waves are rocky. The explorers decided to have the landing at 10pm instead, which is late for most people especially 75% of the passengers are over 60 HAHAHHA. There was about 50 of us. LET ME OUTTA HERE!!!!!!!!

After dinner, there was an ice craving demo and veggie/fruit craving demo.  I think they make up activities just to have us keep busy on days when we donâ��t have a landing donâ��t go as planned.  I would rather have more movies and lectures, but that is me :D

Afterwards, I went to my cabin to change into my snow gear.

It was 10pm and there was still sun light. I was actually was glad that there was not many people landed with me.  I don't care what time of the day the landing is, I am going. I came all this way why miss anythingâ�¦.right!?!?!?

As we were waiting to get on the polar cirkel, I saw at the distance a tall ship. I normally have my camera in my pocket because I donâ��t want to get wet. We are going to fast i barely even took good photos of the tall ship. My battery was low. I wanted to save it for the penguins when we land. I can see the gentoo penguins near the edge of the ice.  I first thing I smelled is the penguin poop. GOOD GOD IT WAS STRONG!!!! Paul (loganbruin) and mike (mikevirg0824) were right.
I heard it is stronger when the sun is out. I took many photos as I can before my battery died.  I was about to change my battery and I realized it was NOT any of my pockets were I normally have it. OMG I am so mad at myself.  WTF?!?!?!  I am so annoyed with myself all I can do is just observe the gentoos.

I asked one of the passengers I befriended, Dermont, if I can have photos from him. I even took his camera and took photos of my own. I think I took about few photos.  I donâ��t have photos of mum and me.  I went inside to check out their souvenirs.  I wanted a sweater and a patch.  My group was giving only a 30mins to wander around. The rocks and ice was very slippery that I heard some people slipped and fell on the penguin poop included my poor mum.
  She did not have it bad compared to some people I had heard.

One of them was in my group who was standing near Dermont.  He says out loud, EEEEEW THE PENGUIN POOP SMELLS! Then he slips and falls and he has a good lather of poop on his back, his own wife could not sit near him or anybody on the polar cirkel. I am sure when he arrives on the FRAM, they will hose him down top to bottom.

WOW it is only 12am and it is still light in the horizon.  GOSH minus the penguin poop I would spend more time here. Inside the museum they only have 2 light bulbs working to conserve energy.  There is even a working post office.  I bought 2 post cards, one send to myself and one of my BFF, Alisa. Mmmm yeah this would arrive in a month HAHAHAHA.

The boat plan to dock here over night, apparently the FRAN has plenty of cargo for them.
  it is a working ship. We stay here over night for the crew to bring PORT LOCKROY'S cargo to the station.  There are 3 on staff. One man and 2 women HAHAHAHA, they are all engineers. They stay there in 6 month rotation.  All from the UK, I wish I can talk to them longer. I am sure they want to talk to anybody beside each other HAHAHA.

When i got back to the boat, i changed my clothes and then i discovered my extra battery is not on the charger. I looked in my jacket pockets again. OMG it was there all along. OMG i feel so dumb. i could have taking so much photos. Oh well, i went to the cafeteria to get me a hot cocoa. that is ok, i took many good photos from Dermont.  i will uploaded it from him later.

It was a cold night in Antarctica and another good landing day.
.....

HISTORY OF PORT LOCKROY

Port Lockroy is a natural harbour on the Antarctic Peninsula of the British Antarctic Territory. After its discovery in 1903 by the French Antarctic Expedition it was used for whaling and British military operations (Operation Tabarin) during World War II and then continued to operate as a British research station until 1962.

In 1996 Port Lockroy was renovated and is now a museum and post office operated by the United Kingdom Antarctic Heritage Trust. It is designated as Historic Site no. 61 under the Antarctic Treaty and one of the most popular tourist destinations in Antarctica. Proceeds from the small souvenir shop fund the upkeep of the site and other historic sites and monuments in Antarctica.

Port Lockroy (in 2000)

Port Lockroy was named after Edouard Lockroy, a French politician and Vice President of the Chamber of Deputies, who assisted Jean-Baptiste Charcot in obtaining government support for the French expedition.

A major experiment on the island is to test the effect of tourism on penguins. Half the island is open to tourists, while the other half is reserved for penguins. So far, interestingly, the results show that tourism has a slight positive effect on penguins, possibly due to the presence of people being a deterrent to skuas - Antarctic birds that prey on penguin chicks and eggs.

world-traveller123 says:
Wow amazing, i like to get here.
Posted on: Jul 23, 2009