NEKO HARBOR

Neko Harbor Travel Blog

EAT SNOW!!!!

“A JOURNEY IS A PERSON IN ITSELF, NO TWO ARE ALIKE, AND ALL PLANS. SAFEGUARD, POLICIES AND COERCION ARE FRUITLESS. WE FIND AFTER YEARS OF STRUGGLE THAT WE DO NOT TAKE A TRIP; A TRIP TAKES US.”

John Steinbeck (1902 �" 1968)

The expedition team did not give up on a continent landing yet. There are only 2 possibilities on this side of the peninsula and we want to give it another rather early shot. So here we are back in NEKO.

EEEEEK it was 5:30am it was very little sunlight. Although we are here, I took some photos from the boat. I drank some tea to wake up. neko harbor looked differently about 3 days ago. There are more iceberg debris here. It is summer time and the ice is melting. The channel is calm. Some of us were on port side and starboard side.
WOW
We were in awe on the beautiful icebergs. it was cloudy most of the morning.

We were patiently waiting for our group to be called. I was looking forward to land here. Unfortunately, we do not have time to slide down the hill.  Hey that is ok we are landing on the mainland. There was still ice. In the later summer months, the landscape would have been gorgeous.

The landing was only 30min, not enough time but I can make the best of it.  I look forward to land on Cuverille Island.  It is one of the largest gentoo rookeries. This is where you see all the photos from Antarctica.  It will be gorgeous.

My group on the first boat was the only group to land in neko. The winds started to pick up. I did not take photos. I did not have time too. I only have time to land and touch the mainland. I was very disappointed but I did land on ANTARCTICA!!!!!!!

NO LANDING ON CUVERVILLE ISLAND TOO WINDY AND ICY :(

HISTORY OF NEKO HARBOR

Neko Harbor was the first landing that actually happened on the continent proper. Up until now all of our landings had been on islands just off the peninsula. There was a gentoo colony here as well as an abandoned Argentinine refuge station that had a triple bunk bed and some very old food stored. We took a walk down the shore towards a glacier and sat and enjoyed the peaceful air occasionally broken by a small calving.

BACK HERE AGAIN
HAHAHAHHA
HAHAHAHHA
REDRUM REDRUM REDRUM
REDRUM REDRUM REDRUM
HOT COCOA AND SUGAR FREE COOKIES W…
HOT COCOA AND SUGAR FREE COOKIES …
Neko Harbor