GENTOOS, ADELIES, AND ICEBERGS...OH MY!!!!

Petermann Island Travel Blog

ANOTHER BEAUTIFUL DAY IN ANTARCTICA....EVEN THOUGH THERE IS NO SUN :(

YEAH!!!! My group is up next. I was looking forward to this. I wanted to see ICEBERG ALLEY and adelie penguins. Which is Ramón in HAPPY FEET,  I wanted to tell my nieces that I met Ramón HAHAHAHA.  As soon as we landed, Anja briefed us with instructions  on where to walk on marked paths and we have an hour.  my mum could not walk further because she was concerned that she will fall again. She stayed near the landing again. There were a small rookery of gentoos to keep her entertained.
ICEBERG ALLEY
I took plenty of photos.

I went with Dermot and David to iceberg alley first. It is a very good hike up the hill. It was again a cloudy day. I wish there was sun. the snow would pop up with different shades of grey and blue. While on the way there there was more gentoos near the pathway. The pathway is very narrow. If you walk outside the trail you might sink in the snow.

When I arrived to iceberg alley WOW!!!! what a beautiful view. I wish the sun was out. I could hear the icebergs hitting  each other and the waves splashing. It was indescribable.  I took many many many photos there. It was breath taking view. I was in awe.  On the other side was untouched land.  It was all snow and ice. All you can see off the distance was a small rookery of penguins. I spent about 30min there.

Then I hiked back to towards the landing to go to the other side of the island where one of the largest gentoo and adelie penguins are breeding.
  On the way there, I spotted an empty penguin egg that is unfortunately been eaten by a skua or a petrel.  What a beautiful view on the way down from iceberg alley.  I can see the boat, the landing, and mountains.

I hiked up the rookery and there was also a magnificent view of the strait, icebergs, and mountains. I loved it. There was a small area for us to hang out. I was taking photos left and right. Adelie penguins are so cute. It is breeding season. Many for them are nesting. Some male penguins I saw stealing pebbles from other nests. Some I saw mating. There are some that have eggs or chicks. I wish I would photos of that. I took some videos as well. HAHAHA it was so comical. Penguins are funny. I love how they walk.

I even got to witness John and Ken exchange rings. They are such a nice couple. They are from NJ. Mum and I hung out with him most of the time.
EGG!!!
it was an honor for me to be there.  I was there for a bit. So far this is my favorite spot.  The penguin smell is not that bad here.  i wish I could stay. I need to be back because my 1hr is up.

When I arrived to landing sight, I met up with mum who is waiting near a good rookery of gentoos. I watched a gentoo stealing a pebble and taking it to the other its nesting place on hill. The penguin created a “penguin highway” you must not disturb it. It is amazing to watch.  That is why we must not take pebbles home. It is very scarce in the island. They need the pebbles to build their nests.

OOOOOOO BACK TO THE BOAT IS LUNCH TIME!!!!!!!

HISTORY OF PETERMANN ISLAND

Petermann Island is a small island just off the west side of the Antarctic Peninsula of Antarctica, located at 65 deg 10 min S, 64 deg 10 min W, just a short distance south of Booth Island and the Lemaire Channel.
GENTOO & ADELIE PENGUINS
Just 2 km long, the low rounded island is home to the world's southernmost colony of Gentoo Penguins, and also hosts a number of Adelie Penguins.

The island was discovered by a German expedition of 1873-74, who named it after geographer August Petermann. The French Antarctic Expedition of 1908-10 wintered over aboard ship in a cove on the southeast side of the island, named Port Circumcision because it was spotted 1 January 1909, the traditional day for the Feast of the Circumcision.

Huts built by the expedition are gone, although a cairn remains, along with a refuge hut built by Argentina in 1955, and a cross commemorating three members of the British Antarctic Survey who died in a 1982 attempt to cross the sea ice from Faraday station to Petermann.

migemartin says:
^_^
Posted on: Apr 23, 2009
migemartin says:
O_O very cool, no? and Beautiful photos!
Posted on: Apr 23, 2009
ME AND DAVID
ME AND DAVID
PENGUIN EGG
PENGUIN EGG
PENGUIN EGG THAT A SKUA HAS STOLEN…
PENGUIN EGG THAT A SKUA HAS STOLE…
LOVELY