DINNER IN RECOLETA

Buenos Aires Travel Blog

SLUMS AREA

BACK IN BA AND SUCH PERFECT WEATHER!!!!!

We arrived at about 3pm, we were not happy with the hotel at all. we dropped off our stuff in the hotel before planning to walk around the neighborhood. The couple that we sat during dinner wanted to have dinner with us, Carol and Jerry from FL.  Mum took a shower and we headed out about 7pm to have dinner at recoleta.  I went online to check my emails. Just what I suspect, no one emailed me if I was ok. I knew my friends don’t watch or read the news.

I took a nap then it was dinner time. mum received a call from the front desk that somebody from our boat is looking for us. the was Guinella from Norway and her husband, Bjorn. They wanted to join us for dinner.
BUSY LOCALS
hey the more the merrier.

We all met in the lobby. I brought my map to show the taxi driver where to go. We went on 2 taxis to recolata. It was a $5 cab fare.  This is such a nice area. It had a European feel to it. we walked around the area until it was 8pm. there was no one in the restaurant. It was too early for the locals to eat. They eat here very late. They like to eat at  10pm -11pm GEEEEEEEEZ too late for me.

I wanted to visited Havana, the chocolate bistro shop. I wanted to try there chocolate. Empanadas, chocolate, caramel, and the BBQ is what they are known for.  I was disappointed to discover that it was closed after dinner.  the cemetery where Eva Peron was buried was across the street from the restaurant.  I remember now where I was at.
PO PO
I was here when we did our city tour last week.

After dinner, I wish I could taste their ice cream. I looked so creamy and rich. I like the many different sizes. There was shot cup size, a waffle cone dipped in chocolate, and some sort of foam insulated bowl to keep it cool. Since it is summer time in BA.

It was very early, it was only 10pm. I just went back to our hotel to repack.  It was still warm in the room. My mum asked me to go down to the “25HR” store to buy a bottle of water.  it was expensive and small size.  I went out with my PJ. I did not care. I walked around the busy shopping alley. It was full of life in the streets. I was a Saturday night and everybody was out.

We planned to wake up at 7am to eat breakfast then take a cab to ONCE before meeting up with john and Ken to go shopping at San Telmo.

ABOUT RECOLETA NEIGHBORHOOD - BUENOS AIRES

It is considered to be on of the finest and most expensive areas of the city. It boasts many french style buildings, large green spaces and first class restaurants. Originally, this area was made up of simple houses or "ranchos". During the XVII century though, the lands were bestowed to the Recoleto fathers (Padres Recoletos) where the place takes its name from. Both the Convent and the Pilar Church were built by them in 1706.

During the yellow fever epidemic in 1871, many rich families fled to this area and built large  houses and palaces surrounded by large gardens. Some people consider this district a copy of París. Many cultural events take place here.
SAUSAGE YUM!!!
On weekends there is a large handicrafts market where you can find high quality items, and legions of street performers. Every day you will be able to enjoy tipicaly argentina mate or delicious tea at LoiSuites Recoleta Hotel.

There are a great number of restaurants, pubs and night clubs on the streets surrounding the cementery, which gives a special atmosphere to the place.

Recoleta Cementery: Junín Street and Quintana Avenue. It is one of the most famous cementeries in the world. It was founded in 1822 by the Recoleto Fathers. It is sex hectares in size. There are famous sculptures, crypts, and gaves where famous people rest, some of which are considered Historic Monuments.

Important mausoleums, such as Eva Duarte´s, worldwide known as Evita, Federico Leloir´s, Meddicine Noberl Prize, Luis Angel Firpo´s, the boxer, as well as those of other national heroes, writers and former Argentine Presidents, can be found there.
CAROL, JERRY, BJORN, ME AND GUINELLA

Nuestra Señora del Pilar Basilic: 1892, Junin Street. It is one of the oldest churches in Buenos Aires. It was built in 1732 by the Jesuits and it was designed by architect Giovanni Andrea Bianchi. It is 30 meters tall and it has only one aisle. There is an Inca Style sun made in silver in front of the main altar.

Recoleta Cultural Center: 1930, Junín Street.  It was an old convent, built in 1732 by the Recoletos monks. From 1886 onwards, it was a home for aged people and in 1979 it became a cultural center. Young and avant garde exhibits prevail at the center. Permanent painting, sculpture, photography and theatre exhibitions take place at the 25 auditoriums.

Fine Arts National Museum. 1473, Libertador Avenue. It is one of the most important art exhibition centers in Argentina, where 10 thousand works of art are permanently exhibited and expositions by contemporary artists take place.
HAHAHAHAHA
Works of art by Goya, El Greco, Tintoretto, Zorbarán, Van Gogh, Picasso, Kandisky, Miró, Toulousse, Lautrec, Klee and by well known Argentine artists such as Prilidiano Pueyrredón, Sivori, Castagnino, de la Carcova, Quinquela MArtín, Soldi and others, stand out at the exhibition.

Palais de Glace: 1725, Posadas Street. This circular building is a National Exhibition Hall. In the early 1900´s it was a spectacular ice skating rink and later became an important place where tango was danced.

National Decorative Arg Museum: 1902 Libertador Avenue. It was an old private neoclassic residence. In 1937, it was bought by the National government and turned into a museum. Flamenco tapestry, chinaware, ivory, silverware, glassware and baroque furniture collections are exhibited there.

mellemel8 says:
THANKS :)
Posted on: Jan 06, 2009
shirlan says:
Looks like fun and a great place to visit. You took some great photos too.
Posted on: Jan 06, 2009
SAUSAGE YUM!!!
CAROL, JERRY, BJORN, ME AND GUINEL…
CAROL, JERRY, BJORN, ME AND GUINE…
FRENCH EMBASSY
CLUB CALLED BUSINESS
CLUB CALLED BUSINESS
Buenos Aires Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
FINE DINING IN RECOLETA
This is located in the recoleta area of BA. it is a $5 cab ride from our hotel near the obelisco on 9 de julio ave. this was suggested by one of the h… read entire review
19,035 km (11,828 miles) traveled