BEAUTIFUL ICEBERGS AND ICEBERG DEBRIS

Wilhelmina Bay Travel Blog

THE LAST AREA TO SEE ICEBERGS :(

We continue to cruise inside Wilhelmina bay.  It is such a beautiful view. We did not however enter Enterprise Island; I did not see the ship, GUVERNEREN. I just hung out on the bow. It was very windy about 30 mph.  I had to wear my scarf to protect my mouth. It was quite a challenge to walk outside on the deck. You need to hold on to the railing.

I have video below to give you an idea how windy it is.  I did not do much today. I just blogged whenever I can. it is very difficult to blog while on the boat and ROCKING!!!! I just hang out on deck 7 to enjoy the view. It was also very rough. Some people just stayed in their cabins.
DERMONT TRYING TO WALK

HISTORY OF WILHELMINA BAY

Wilhelmina Bay is a bay 15 miles wide between Reclus Peninsula and Cape Anna along the west coast of Graham Land. Discovered by the Belgian Antarctic Expedition, 1897-99, under Adrien de Gerlache, and named for Wilhelmina, Queen of the Netherlands.

The mountains and high glaciers walls of the Antarctic Peninsula around Wilhelmina bay ensure that there is plenty of dramatic scenery, interesting ice in the water, and the possibility of witnessing a calving. Enterprise Island in Wilhelmina bay has the partially submerged wreck of the whaling ship GUVERNEREN near Foyn Harbor. The 3433 ton ship caught fire in 1915 and was run aground in order to recue men and supplies. There were no fatalities. The bay is a choice feeding place for whales and therefore was a chance hunting ground for whalers. As Shackleton was marching his men across the ice of the Weddell Sea, his final destination was possibility of whales, Weddell, crabeater, and leopard seals can be found here and Antarctic terns nest on some of the bare cliff faces.

DERMONT TRYING TO WALK