Checking out the falls

Niagara Falls Travel Blog

Across the street from our motel
The falls were never really on my highlight list of must sees.  However since I was all the way over here I thought we should make the effort and run down to Niagara Falls and see what all the fuss is about.  I am glad we did.  We have many waterfalls here in BC but not like this one, it is huge.  Not really the highest waterfall I have ever seen but the biggest one that I have seen and been able to stand at the top of the falls and look down.  Most of the falls here in BC you really can not get that close to them and you see them from a long distance.  At Niagara Falls you get so close you get wet from the mist.

We actually got to Niagara Falls Ontario quite late and this caused a bit of a funny story.  It really could have been a disaster if not for Akiko.  We had driven down from Barrie and were a bit tired due to the length of the trip and of course all the activity around the wedding.  Really all we wanted was a place to rest and get some sleep.  We did not anything about the city so we just headed to the main part of the city and looked for a place to stay.  We ended up on Clifton Hill and we found several motor inns and we chose what looked like a decent cheap place to get rooms for Akiko, my mom and me.

I do not remember the name of the motel but I should have known there would be trouble when the front desk clerk warned us there was on outside karaoke bar right across the parking lot from the hotel and it could be loud at night.  It was a cool night and all was quite so I assumed it would be okay and we decided to stay at the motel.  Not ten minutes after we check in two young ladies fueled by lots of beer charted to sing very badly and yes it was loud.  After about 30 minutes my wife told she had had enough and was going down to the front desk to get another room.  I really thought we were out of luck as we had been warned but Akiko was determined to get her way.  She might only be 5 feet and 110 pounds when wearing winter clothes she is stubborn and tough.  Sure enough ten minutes later she came back and told me we were moving down the street and I needed to pay $50 to pay the difference of the hotels.  It turns out the motel had sister hotel just down the street that was slightly more up market and more importantly much quieter.  So we ended up getting a good night sleep and we were ready to explore the next day.
Niagara Falls