Ontario here we are

Barrie Travel Blog

Off the plane in Toronto for my first ever visit to Ontario.  My then wife Akiko and my mother joined me on the trip as we went for my oldest brothers wedding.  The trip on highway 400 was uneventful and the only interesting thing I saw was a snowmobile track that was closed as it was too early for snow.  Just six lanes of blacktop passing by identical looking suburban Toronto homes.

The next couple of day was spent getting ready for the wedding.  I had to get sized for a tuxedo and do some rehearsals as I was my brothers best man.  One thing I noticed about Barrie is that the Molson Brewing Company must have a huge influence in this city.
  The biggest city park is Molson Park and inside the park is one of the city's main banquet hall is called Molson House.  Finally the hockey stadium is called Barrie Molson Centre.  Never did discover what the reason for all this Molson influence is but for the record I hate Molson beer and did not drink one pint of their mass produced crap.

The city of Barrie is quite nice.  It sits right on Lake Simcoe and the downtown has a nice beach along the lake.  There are also several small interesting looking commercial building in the small downtown core.  Unlike the homes I saw on the way up the freeway most of the homes in Barrie are red brick with lots of character.  Unfortunately most of what we had to do before the weddign was to occur at stores in very boring strip malls and large shopping centres.

The wedding was suppose to happen in the nice gardens in the Molson Park.  However as my brother's luck would have it the weather turned badly and it snowed all day of the wedding.  The wedding had to be crammed into the Molson House but all went well except that the microphone did not work for my speech and the DJ showed up an hour late.

Barrie