12 hour drive, blizzards, and speeding ticket+

Frisco Travel Blog

sunrise

Well, I had finally convinced a colleague of mine to venture on this long road trip with me to Colorado for New Year's weekend. We left my house at about 3:00AM and didn't get to Frisco until about 4:00 PM. I had asked if I needed snow tires/chains and everyone told me that wasn't necessary since they do a GREAT job at keeping the roads cleared.

I drove just under the speed limit since the roads were icy even though most people were zooming right past me. It was great seeing the winterwonderland. Well, they messed up our room reservation and the condo we ended up with had 2 queen beds and there were 6 of us. 2 people in our party did NOT want to share the sofabed.

The next day, Sunday, we went to Copper Mountain and enjoyed our little snowboard class.

go into the light!!
I was EXHAUSTED and SORE by the end of the day since I kept falling on my butt. And then, I had decided to remove my snowboard while on the slope and it slipped away from me and went over the "red ribbon" before I could catch it. My trainer said that I had to retrieve it even though it was past the fence. I would have thought that one of the employees would have used their snowmobile to retrieve it but my instructer said that I had to do it. I was rather annoyed that I had to get it since the snow I had to walk on was over knee high!!

In my opinion, I would have skipped the snowboard lesson. The instructor wasn't that great and was more into himself than actually helping us out.

After a day of snowboarding, it started to moderately snow and there was heavy duty traffic leaving the ski resort.

just in time for a blizzard!
It took us two hours to get out of that place. On top of that, we still had to go to the grocery store to buy dinner. By then, the moderate snow turned into heavy duty and the freeway was jammed because they started to shut down parts of it due to the blizzard that was forming!

We didn't think we'd make it back to the condo especially since the GPS started going crazy and couldn't really pinpoint the proper direction due to the blizzard. It was a bit nerve-racking driving in a blizzard especially since I've never really driven in snow before. My other friends thought they would have to end up fetching us in a ditch somewhere. Thankfully the GPS finally got its wits together and we were able to make it back to the condo.

We were snowed in the next day because all the freeways were shut down and no one could go anywhere or do anything so we sat around the condo and just drank and played UNO.

We were able to walk to a bar down the street to kick off the new year but that was about it. We were able to go to the store earlier to buy more stuff just in case we'd be snowed in for longer.

They finally opened the roads back up on New Year's day and so we were able to pack up and leave. To top of the new year, I got a speeding ticket in Utah. Plus, I ended up driving the whole time since everyone else fell back asleep and I just didn't think I could trust my friend to be able to drive in snow conditions.

almost there...