AfricaEgyptCairo

Egypt: Pyramids of Giza and camel riding in the desert

Cairo Travel Blog

Cairo: First bridge in Cairo?

We first went to the Cairo  Museum and saw statues, royal mummies, and King Tut's gold laden sarcophagus and all the treasures found in his tomb that were not on tour. Ridiculously unbelievable! It pretty much occupied the half of the 2nd floor of the museum!

Then off we were to the pyramids of Giza! We decided to go in the first pyramid. Inside - it was stuffy and cramp. Crowded with loud and screaming Egyptian kids in a small, limited space did not help the situation either. We took numerous photos - of course. After which, we had a 45-minute camel ride. It was hot and despite my hesitation that I might fall off my camel, it was a relatively nice experience. Riding a camel is like riding a horse. Furthermore, I expected camels to stink! But again, I was surprise to find my camel, not as malodorous as I thought he would be.

Starbucks, my camel's name according to his caretaker, was a good camel throughout the whole ride. The camel behind us, on the other hand, was not. He was nitpicking my camel's behind! So rude! Funny, but rude. My poor camel.

We then went to see the Sphinx. My attempt to kiss the Sphinx failed - but it was okay, there were too many birds making themselves feel at home on his nose. It simply was not attractive - and hygienic, for that matter.

Tired, hot and quite starving, we had lunch at Felfela. Felfela is a restaurant located close to the pyramids of Giza. They serve traditional, Egyptian/Middle Eastern food. Hummus with pita bread, and other dishes that I honestly don't recall anymore, were served on our table. I, of course, had to get my mango juice as my drink. There were no meat served which left a disappointing mark on me and my sister who is not vegetable-friendly. But the food was good.

Before catching the train to Aswan, we stopped by at the papyrus store where I resisted on buying more papyrus. We also stopped at a Bedouin perfume oil place where I caved in and bought a lotus flower perfume oil.

ellechic says:
yup!... i use the lotus oil as a perfume!
Posted on: Sep 16, 2008
SheLuvz2Fly says:
Ohhh...that lotus perfume sounds goood!
Posted on: Sep 15, 2008
jteddyb says:
You're lucky you can sleep on planes. I never could. Enjoy Egypt!
Posted on: Mar 27, 2008