word play

Berlin Travel Blog

Being in a constant state of confusion really makes you sensitive to language everywhere.  And once I learn my word-of-the-day, I start to see and hear it everywhere!  Things I have picked up so far:

The couple from San Francisco I met taught me that 'Konditeri' is a place that sells cake.  At that point I had been in Germany for a week and never seen one.  Since that conversation, I see a konditeri at least 4 times a day.  The cake is everywhere...and I never knew.

That JFK 'Ich bin ein berliner' legend has made me very aware that there really are 'berliners' everywhere, all covered in sugar and jelly.

Speaking of famous people, the two main coffee chains here (of the non-sbux variety) are Einstein Cafe and Balzac Coffee.  Every morning it is such a dilemma: science or literature?  I usually go with the Balzac, you know, to prepare for when I visit France.

On a non-food-related front, another word I have learned on this trip is kablunaqhiuuik.  From the indiginous Artic tribes, a name for their major port city.  It translates to: 'the place for meeting white people.'  hahaha...those indigenous Artic tribes crack me up.
shengmingsong says:
thanks for your message!If possibly, can you share more picture online withus by www.skype.com id ssmzxy? yours shengmingsong
Posted on: Dec 10, 2007
secretaryofsoul says:
best berlin neighborhood: prenzlauer berg. i didn't get to spend enough time there, but it's fun just walking around, and i know one good bar: wohndzimmer (look it up on the internet and DON'T LEAVE BERLIN WITHOUT GOING)
Posted on: Oct 05, 2006
aichuwu says:
Thank you for taking us to your interesting trip with this blog. I really enjoy your observations and humorous comments. Enjoy and take care!
Posted on: Oct 03, 2006