the surreal life

Singapore Travel Blog

Being in Singapore is kind of like being amongst pod people.   Asian pod people.  I mean, don't get me wrong, I love the cleanliness  matching modern architecture and quiet , smooth metro rides.  But it's so unnatural in such a big city (or tiny country) it's almost alarming.   Well, I guess it would be if I wasn't enjoying it so much.  Unlike someone I met last night who had spent the day  in Chinatown and was fuming about how it was too clean - "Chinatown isn't supposed to be clean!"

Since I just got here today, all I've really seen has been the airport and three large shopping complexes surrounding this hostel.  But oh, what an airport (and what shopping, for that matter).  Changi International was apparently voted the best airport in the world and I can certainly see why.  Amongst it's fabulous offerings are a pool, two gyms, two spas, free internet terminals/Xbox stations, a free movie theater, a bevy of designer stores including Gucci and Burberry, a tourist center offering free 1-2 hour tours of the city for those just stopping over, their own mini-hotel, and huge comfy couches and flat screen TVs everywhere showing sports, news, and random TV shows.  I think I want to move in.

When I was walking around yesterday, I realized I really am in Asia.  Everyone speaks Chinese to me, there is great cheap food everywhere, and I'm already drinking boba nonstop.  It just tastes better here.  Although the eating in Singapore is even better than in China and Taiwan because it's truly international.  There's almost as much Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, Indian, and Thai food here as there is Chinese cuisine.  And it all looks delicious.  And also truly a bilingual society because I was listening to people walking around yesterday and they really split the conversation between English and Chinese.  Not like when my friends and I toss a random word of conversation, or when I talk to my parents and toss in bits of English.  But where sometimes, halfway through a sentance, they just switch over and carry on for a minute or two and switch back.  Great fun for all.  Well, all that understand both and like to eavesdrop.
photo by: easyjobrob