something in the water

Munich Travel Blog

It is cold and raining in Munich today.  And I, thinking I was just coming here for two days, brought only skirts and flip flops.  Who knew the California thinking did not pan out everywhere?  But I was talking to the waitress at breakfast today and asking her what kinds of things people like to do when it´s rainy and she strongly recommended shopping.  Which is true - when it rains in SF I certainly am not frolicking about in Golden Gate Park or walking along the Embarcadero.  She even directed me to all the major shopping areas, so I´m browsing through raincoats.  I didn´t realize Munich was such a shopping mecca.  They have the LV, the Burberry, not only Emporio Armani, but the cafe too.  Not to mention dozens of stores selling lederhosen and dirndls.

Last night my friend and I were having dinner and met this father and son sitting at the table next to us.  People really do talk to me for reasons I dont understand - we were next to them for an hour without contact, but the minute my friend left the table, they started talking to me.  Do I have a sign on my forehead?

They were really nice though.  The dad didn´t speak a word of English, but he reminded me of my dad.  He was SO funny!  The son was translating, and when the dad guessed my age wrong, he claimed his son translated wrong.  And we kind of talked about theater.  With hand signals.  They live next door to each other and go for a beer once a week while their wives also meet, presumably to talk about them.  It was so cute, he said his dad is so funny he would rather spend time with him than his friends.  I aspire to have my children think of me that way.  I was also impressed because both father and son drank 3 liters of beer and made fun of us for being tired at 10.30.  I can´t even drink 3 liters of water in one sitting!!

Speaking of water, I think there really is something about it here.  Isn´t that why the beer is supposed to be so good?  And the bread is ridiculously good too.  I must have had 4 different kinds of rye bread since I´ve been here and I don´t even like rye bread that much.
photo by: AleksandraEa