AsiaIndiaPushkar

settling in

Pushkar Travel Blog

We got to Pushkar today, and after the hectic crowds of Delhi and Jaipur, it's a relaxed change.  Although relaxed for India is still practically like being in London, just on a smaller scale.  But it's crazy in a manageable way, which means we were able to leave our driver and wander off on our own for the afternoon.  Every time we insist he can leave us, he goes so reluctantly, saying, "Be CAREFUL!"  It's like my dad is with us after all.

Pushkar is basically famous for lots of temples and a holy lake.  Which means that after we visited a temple and walked around the lake, we were free to spend the rest of the day wandering the bazaars, eating lots of naan and dal, and going to yoga class (well, for my mom.  I prefer to spend my time using the internet for 10 Rs ($.25) an hour).  It really is relaxing though.  And you can tell because it is traveller central here.  I think there are more Australians here than in the country itself.  And if that wasn't a sign in itself, every bookstore has a huge display of Lonely Planets in their front window.  But not to say it isn't awesome.  It's warmer than Delhi but the lake winds keep it cool enough to divert mosquitos (no malaria or dengue fever so far - fingers crossed!)  It's peaceful.  And there is not only a lake, but hills and sand dunes too.  Okay, there are still cows and monkeys wandering the street, but you can't have it all.
Pushkar