one thumb up

Prague Travel Blog

I had never been to Prague before, but everyone was talking about it like some kind of European Disneyland.  Well, you know, another one.  But I dunno if I just came a few years too late or what, because it kind of IS like EuroDisney.  And not in the good way.  It is really beautiful and has lots of amazing old buildings and bridges and meat and dumplings and all that fun stuff, but it's also packed with tourists (yes, even in mid-November) and souviner stands selling babushki dolls and castle paintings, and I really do think I hear more English than Czech.  You know how random people talk to me in the streets all the time?  They do it in English.  When people talk in the square, they're either speaking in English, German, or Japanese.  I don't even know if I've heard Czech since I've been here.

And it ain't that cheap either.  That scene in Eurotrip, where they have ten dollars and manage to buy a luxury suite, women to fan them and feed them grapes, and heaping platters of food is not true to life.  Who knew that film wasn't factually accurate?

Gripes aside, it is a fun city and a pretty country.  There are a lot of cool things and it's a lot more happening than you would expect.  It's also super modern and a lot more cosmopolitan and diverse than I expected.  Maybe that's just because of all the visitors, but I think the people working at places and in the residential areas seem to be a more diverse group than the Slovakians at least.

I'm here until Thursday and flying to Rome.  I may meet up with a fellow American for Thanksgiving who is from Pennsylvania and has the phrase 'amish2020' in his email.  I'm embarrassed to ask if he's actually Amish or if he's just really good at picking them out, like gaydar.

fr3yam says:
that scene in the movie Eurotrip with them having 10 dollars and buying a luxury suite and etc... happens actually in Bratislava :) in Slovakia, that's just for the accuracy of the blog ... and by the way Slovakia is really cheap ...
Posted on: Aug 29, 2007
vivo says:
haha its funny either way... although having good vision and being amish is less funny than having good amish-dar ;)
Posted on: Nov 14, 2006