linguistic emergency

London Travel Blog

I am leaving for Belgium in a few hours, which means I am beginning the portion of my journey where English is not the primary language spoken.  Even though I know a lot of people do speak English, I don't want to be the dumb American.  Like I was tonight when these German and French people were asking me about gerunds and run-on sentances and I was asking them how to say yes and no.  So I am starting my crash course now.  I have decided there are 5 key words I would like to know in every language.

Not spicy

So far, I have English, Thai, German, Spanish, Italian, Mandarin, and Russian.  If you are able to translate these into any other languages, please let me know.  I think that's all I will need to get by.

Also, I am finally in the process of uploading some photos.  Don't worry, standards are being imposed - you will not be seeing all 1027 photos I took during these first 10 days.

glennisnz says:
I totally agree, always learn sorry or excuse me in any language for the country your in.
"How much" can also be useful if your buying or bargaining for things.
Posted on: Feb 05, 2008
lylpookie says:
In Viet I'm sorry and excuse me are basically the same thing
xin lỗi - pronounced sin loy
Posted on: Sep 28, 2006
oddrey says:
oh, I have excuse me on my list now! I need to add the sorry though. Care to do any translations for me? Also, excuse me in german is so difficult i prefer to just do extra grovelling.
Posted on: Sep 23, 2006