going public

Khajuraho Travel Blog

So my mom and I left the driver behind in Agra and started travelling hardcore Indian style.  Which we didn't think was going to be so bad at first.  After all, the train we took from Agra was the fastest and best, and even though it was more Italian ghetto-fab than German ICE, it was still reasonably comfy and fast.  And THEN we got on the bus for the rest of our trip.

Well, first we shared a rickshaw with a crazy scary Korean girl who yelled at the driver and forced him to leave all his pals trying to drive us to our destination.  But when she started screaming, he pealed out of the parking lot and rushed towards the bus station.  After which my mom said, "when you're travelling by yourself the rest of the time, you need to make friends with Korean girls.  They really know what they're doing.  They're MEAN!"  hahahaha.  Oh Vivo, if only you were still with me!

But the bus was a whole new world.  Not only were we crammed in every available seat, there were people packed in the aisles.  And I suspect hanging off the roof as well, since virtually every other bus we passed also had people hanging off the roof.  The redeeming factor was that I made friends with all the little Indian kids on the bus, and their dads in turn felt obligated to look out for us by making the driver turn down his music, shoving aside passengers encroaching on our personal space, and making the bus driver wait when he tried to pull away and abandon my mom at a rest stop.  So, thank goodness for the kids.  Although the downside of friendship means that they also want to share your snacks with you - and that combines my apprehension about both Indian street food and accepting food from the hands of four-year-olds.  God knows where those grubby-but-cute paws have been.

But more to the point, Khajuraho is a really nice town, but weirdly touristy in a way that makes you feel like you aren't even in India anymore.  It's famous for all these ginormous, intricately carved temples that have a lot of erotic sculptures.  Maybe I need to post those pictures seperately.  They are pretty amazing though, and most took years to carve and are thousands of years old.  I get tired just thinking about the effort that went into making one wall.  There are actually three groups of a dozen or so temples each, but by the time we had explored both the eastern and western groups, we thought, if you've seen twenty Indo-Mayan 600AD temple covered in graphic images, you've seen them all.

In other news, a moment of silence, please, for this recent turn of events: http://www.jewtastic.com/posts/5090.    But on the upside, who knew there was a website called www.jewtastic.com?
Khajuraho