just around the corner

London Travel Blog

London is still full of fun and surprises.  Such as during Boxing Day sales, when a BEARD PAPA'S CREAM PUFFS was discovered on Oxford Street.  Yes, the first and only European location of the Japanese cult phenomena has opened it's doors in the few months since I was here.  Amazing.  And the best part was not just the fluffy balls of pastry and cream, but the fact that the flat screen TV was broadcasting KRON 4 news.  Traffic and weather together, to be exact.  Oh, good times indeed.

Which helps make up for the fact that I have been deathly ill for the past few days.  Dying, coughing up my lungs, buried indoors under five layers ill.  It figures.  Just a week before I escape the bitter cold of Europe for the warmth of India, I am sick.  That guy who worked at the hostel and said the best part of his job was getting immunized to germs from all countries knew what he was talking about.  School teachers must have the same kind of amazing immunity to illness.

My cousin and I started noticing this in Paris and it persists here - people just don't decorate for the holidays (or, Christmas) the way they do in the states.  Not saying this is a bad thing - I'm sure it's signs of lowered levels of commercialization around the holiday and the fact that families celebrate by eating together, going to church, and not so much by renting two generators so you can outdo the neighbor's decorations while dressed in a santa sweater, reindeer socks, and earrings with bells on them.  Not complaining at all.  But it is interesting.  I met an American in Lyon who was even complaining about having trouble finding Christmas-themed wrapping paper, a problem I would never even consider having in December.  Or November or January, for that matter.

London