Chivalry is...

Oslo Travel Blog

St. Hallvard is the patron saint of Oslo.  He allegedly died attempting to protect a woman wrongly accused of theft.  He is now revered today as a martyr who died in defense of innocence and thus best embodies the spirit of chivalry.

Ironically, since I have arrived in the Scandinavian territories, I have begun to think chivalry is dead since all the nice people helping me with my bags on the train have up and disappeared.  Either chivalry has gone the way of mobs with swords and vikings, or I have gotten significantly grubbier and less cute in the past weeks.  Regardless, at least I have been forced to parse out unnecessary items from my bag.  And I'm getting stronger.  Maybe by the time I return, I'll be able to beat my 7-year-old cousin at arm wrestling.  Probably not, though.

I have re-evaluated Oslo and decided it's not as bad as I originally thought.  Any city where a rainy day spent cafe-and-store-hopping can take you across 5 neighborhoods without getting soaked can't be that bad.  Also, the cheese slicer was invented here.  So the Nobel Peace Prize is not Norway's only contribution to society.
travelman727 says:
You've GOT to love the city that invented the cheese slicer! Yay!
Posted on: Oct 20, 2006