"Winning the lottery" at Raffles.

Canouan Travel Blog

On our way to Canouan!
Luckily, the flight to Canouan was only 18 minutes, as the plane was filled with loud rich people, flashing enormous diamonds and slinging Louis Vuittons. Every husband was fat, and every wife seemed annoyed. We were the only ones to board in St. Lucia, and it felt like we were entering another world after our idyllic time at casual, quiet, friendly Anse Chastenet.

We landed at the small airport and were met by an uber-efficient Raffles Resort concierge, who drove us to the resort in a private car. During the 20-minute drive we learned that Raffles is pretty much IT in Canouan. Not a whole lot else to do. That's OK, because the resort is supposed to be stellar.

The reception area was absolutely gorgeous, and I was thrilled to be upgraded to a junior suite! I felt like I won the lottery, especially since I am getting a very special rate as it is.
Why thank you! Happy to be here!
  (For the record: the rack rate on the room is an astounding $1365 per night. We are paying $250/nt for the first 3 nights, and $875/nt for the last two nights.  In return, I will send a "report" to my friend Lisa, who has bought out the hotel for a special event for VIP clients in the fall.)

Our room is spacious and completely wonderful. We showered up and headed to the special BBQ meal, A.K.A.  "The Great Rip Off."   The live music and beach setting was quite nice, but there was a dearth of vegetarian-friendly foods on the buffet. Bottom line: we paid $200 for a salad, dessert, and one drink each.

Thankfully, our cushy wonderful room relieved some of the pain of being completely extorted off for dinner...
Canouan