Picton, swimming with dolphins

Picton Travel Blog

Just before sunrise

This day would be a very long day. We had a wake-up call at 4 am.... I can tell you that is early. We had an appointment somewhere at 5 am to get dressed for swimming with the dolphins. I did not join the group, i am just a observer and therefor have to take pictures with 5 camera's around my neck :) I had to wait outside the building with a few others while they were changing clothes. So we had the opportunity to saw the sunrise. It was just an half our sailing. A part of the group dived into the water and swam between the dolphins. A few of them returned just after 1 minute because of the cold water. I think no one has touched a dolphin.
Whilst sailing there were a lot of dolphins in front of the boat. Just amazing to see how they adjust there speed with the boat.

Dolphins in front of the boat
Just standing at the front of the boat I had a perfect view of the dolphins. We were back at 9:30. Normally a time you would wake up during your holiday. But it was really worth it.
After sending messages home through email, we got to the harbor again for a tour to see whales. We stept on the boat and were sailing out again. It was not the best tour that day, because we saw just one spermwhale. This ended at 5 pm. We had to pack our backs again, because we are going to do the Outer Queen Charlotte track the next two days, so only a small backpack is allowed. The big luggage is going on another boat which we will see again in 2 days.
That evening I had just Fish and chips with Jos, Jan and our tourleader Wai. We ended that evening in an Irish pub and met a nice girl Kate. She was a backpacker and was there already 1 week or so. We had a lot of fun that evening and a lot of cocktails...

Dolphins in front of the boat
Just before sunrise 5 Oclock..
Just before sunrise 5 O'clock..
Before sunrise.
Getting ready for snorkling
Getting ready for snorkling
Paul
Paul
Snorkling in very cold water!
Snorkling in very cold water!
A lot of dolphins.
End of the dolphintrip.
End of the dolphintrip.
A whale.
A whale.
Lovely Kate in the Irish pub :)
Lovely Kate in the Irish pub :)
Leaving Picton.