Heathrow to Bangkok to Asia Hotel

Bangkok Travel Blog

Shrine Bangkok

Twelve and a half hour flight on Thai Airways  was on time and good except for a couple of Londoners who got drunk and didnt really cause trouble , but remained standing in the aisle and talking for nearly the whole flight whilst everyone was trying to sleep . The flight stewards  gave up on them and let them  help themselves to thier own drinks .

I got a taxi to the Asia 4* hotel where i have stayed before , noticing how congested the traffic into Bangkok is .   My plan had been somewhat optimistic and i wanted  to have a few days in BK and then arrange a scuba diving course in Koh Samui for about a week .

This might not sound too optimistic but my problem is that i am a hopeless swimmer and can swim underwater for as long as i can hold my breath and swim on my back for a long time , but cant swim properly on my front  due to breathing thru my mouth problems.

BK buddhist temple , our tour guide

Also my  stomache was funny ,my solar plexus  was  a bit achey and i don't usually have  any tummy problems ,it had been fine before the flight and also i had no travelor health insurance ( i never do).  Before i had  left i had made email contact with a scuba diving establishment in Koh Samui , she was Australian , and when i emailed her she said that bad weather conditions were preventing diving courses . Hmmmm

I later found out that there was a cyclone in the bay of Bengal  and Thailand must have been just on the outside of it .

The following day i took a BK city tour , it was mostly temples actually , at the back of my mind were niggling doubts about my health , my stomache  was still the same .There were so many Wats (temples) that i wont try to name or describe them , i have seen other blogs in TB  which do that very well .

river houses
I already am pretty sure that reincarnation is a fact  and during this visit i found myself pondering whether i have been a buddhist in a previous life , not because i feel drawn to the temples , but because i feel  at home with them and the Thai people that i come in contact with.

Undaunted ,next day i booked a Bangkok  river ferry boat tour for the next day which lasted several hours  and was worthwhile ,they have so many Wats (buddhist temples) around , the river was busy with lots of high-speed longboats and also other tourist boats , we stopped off a few times for riverside temples and also explored the narrow canals  which are lined with  wooden houses on stilts .

feeding the fish

The ferry headed for  a certain area where there were large shoals of largish fish which we fed , they were a good two foot in length and there were scores of them . (see pic)

BK riverboat tour
BK riverboat tour
reclining gold buddha
reclining gold buddha
reverence
reverence
schoolgirls at temple campus
schoolgirls at temple 'campus'
tourists and top hatted guardians
tourists and top hatted guardians
wat interior
wat interior
young buddhist monks and tourists …
young buddhist monks and tourists…
riverside scene