Buckingham Palace - Queen's Official Residence

Buckingham Travel Blog

The most powerful monarchy in the world: Some of the most powerful attractions in England include Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar square, Big Ben -parliament, Westminster Abbey, the London eye to mention but a few. Of all of them, the palace still draws some of the largest crowds during the year. Each time I go to London, I find myself around the palace (well it is also close to all the other major attractions. Buckingham Palace is actually the Queen's official residence and the administrative offices of the immemorial monarchy. I still remember the first time I took a tour of the palace (stupid me, I did not carry a camera), i thought I was in the world's greatest museum, can you believe it's actually not a museum? Some of the world's most priceless art pieces are housed within the confines of the palace.

Africancrab at Buckingham Palace
The organized tour that I took was restricted to just a few areas of the palace (well for privacy and security, not all areas can be made public you understand). Our guide was so knowledgeable, I wondered if he was from a different era all together. If my history serves me right, this has been the home and seat of all British sovereigns since the late seventeenth century and in the early eighteenth century was owned by the Dukes of Buckingham (Disclaimer: do not take everything I write for gospel truth, please check facts from the official British documentation).

Across from the main entrance of the palace is Trafalgar square. I will have a separate blog on that one. while in London, you will not miss one of the most popular activities in front of Buckingham Palace - it is the changing of guards. This activity takes place right at the entrance of the palace especially for the tourists who visit in the early spring and summer months. Many people are intrigued by how still the guards stand; I still remember having this urge to tickle the guard I saw. He would not blink. O' and you must see the state room, immaculate indeed, formality does not start to describe it.

Mum at the Buckingham Palace Gate