Market by the rails

Samut Songkhram Travel Blog

I thought wrong. When I woke up this morning I even had some fever. It was only 38,4°C, but enough to make me feel even worse. I stay in bed for as long as I could, skipping breakfast again, then hurrying down to the lobby because we are about to leave Bangkok already.

As we cross the river and leave the city behind I feel like I haven't got enough time to see Bangkok. It feels like I have seen the mayor temples and the palace alright, but not really the soul of the city. Bangkok has so many faces, and I would have loved just strolling around and blending in. But there wasn't time for that. I need to come back to Bangkok really soon! At the same time most of my travel companions are happy to leave this buzzy city behind, so I guess you either love this city or hate it.

We drive on to Samut Songhram for a short stop at the little market. This place is special because all the goods are laid out next to the railway, and visitors are walking over the rails from vendor to vendor. It is such an odd thing, and simply unthinkable in Belgium. But here it just happens, like that. About 8 times a day a train passes, and then everything needs to be moved aside. We are just in time to witness that spectacle. All of a sudden a bell rings and in the distance we see the crowd split. The lights of the train shine through as the bell sound becomes louder and louder. The train rides slow though, and by the time he reaches us we have walked up to the street next to the station. There are lots of people, and the station guards have a tough job keeping all the tourists of the rails and holding the traffic far enough from the crossing locomotive.
It is a sweet old train that passes by us, and he stops in a sweet little station. Afterwards, it is amazing to see how fast all the fruits and vegetables lie back in their place, and the selling continues. The crowd splits up and just minutes later everything looks like nothing has happened at all. I thought this was a very interesting stop on our way to the floating market of Damnoen Saduak.

Another stop we make before arriving in Damnoen Saduak is one at a Cocos farm. This is a very touristy place, with lots of souvenir stalls and parked tour buses. We are definitely not alone here. The area isn't that interesting either. There is a brief explanation about how the cocos milk is being manufactured to all kinds of sweets and products, but nothing special. Soon we move on to our next destination.

Blue Lagoon - Break my stride