Insects, whisky and Wat Yai

Phitsanulok Travel Blog

We arrived in Phitsanulok yesterday evening, in a small and simple hotel that could in no way compete with the ones we stayed at before. But the place is clean and that is basically all I need. In the evening we took a tuk tuk through the city, with a stop to eat insects and drink whisky. I stayed with the whisky as I hate insects, either dead or alive. I'm sure they taste fine but the looks are a little to horrid for me. I picked one up to try but just holding it gave me goosebumps, so I haven't tasted it. To bad, but the whisky was ok. As I hardly ever drink alcohol I was already a little tipsy after just 2 little glasses, so the tuk tuk ride back was amazingly wonderful, with all the blurred lights surrounding me.
I know, I'm drunk way to fast... The benefit of it however are the unexpected visual effects :)

For the first time since I got sick I had breakfast again this morning. I'm eating lunch and diner again for quite some days, but somehow breakfast was still not well accepted by my stomach. Apparently things have changed now. I was hungry as hell when I woke up an hour ago.

Our first visit today is the Wat Yai, which holds the most beautiful Buddha statue of Thailand, so is said. It is a golden Buddha, but I can't deny the image has majestic charisma and detail in it. I really think it is very nice indeed. The temple itself is equally beautiful and well decorated. Many people are around and so there is a lot to watch apart from the Buddha. Monks are accepting gifts from people and bless them in return, outside incense is burned and candles are lit, and vendors sell little birds to set free at the entrance of the complex. I didn't do so myself but I saw the couples walking away from the hustle with a little wooden cage in their hands. I hope it brought good luck to them :)

Wat Yai is in fact the only thing we visit in Phitsanulok, apart from the insect vendors. After that we drive straight on to Sukothai, to visit the historical site.

Mika - Love today
Half-full plate, empty glasses :)
Half-full plate, empty glasses :)
This girl was my tuk tuk driver. T…
This girl was my tuk tuk driver. …
Phitsanulok Hotels & Accommodations review
Simple and crowded hotel
We stayed here only for one night, but from what I've seen, I wouldn't choose this hotel again. I'm sure there must be much nicer places in Phitsanulo… read entire review
Phitsanulok