Home Away from Home

Visca Travel Blog

Main Campus

Visayas State University, formerly known as Visayas State College of Agriculture (Visca), was the first place where I spent my first four years of independence. I was set to study in Cebu City but i fell in love with Visca when i accompanied my high school classmates during enrollment way back 2002. I was drawn to the scenery even when we were still on the bus, seeing the long stretch of mountains on my left and glittery water of the sea on in my right. I remembered that I kept looking out the bus window as though it was my first time to see nature up close.

When we arrived, the obelisk caught my eyes. The Twin Obelisks serve as welcome landmarks that stand tall at the campus entrance. The two columns portray VSU's academic programs and rural development mandate. When we went inside the campus I was even more mesmerized with what I saw. Big tall trees, white-painted roofs, clean sidewalks.

you don't have to look up to notice the clear blue sky thats hovering above the Admin bldg, it doesn't need two attentive ears to hear the sound of the birds chirping (so meaning there were no sounds of motorcylces) ex eh? haha.

ok fine, u can only hear a sound of motorcylces and multicabs when they pass by other than that is a defeaning silence. Aside from being free from noise pollution, the clean fresh air is noteworthy. It felt like I was in a different dimension.  I was totally pleased with everything I saw. I saw GREEN everywhere (of course that includes green leaves, green grass, green moss, hehe). Everything was so soothing to the eyes.  I felt suddenly calm and laid back. That right feeling, (it has to be here. Here i belong, haha) at that instant, I told myself, this is the place I would like to spend my four years in. The thought of spending four years in away from the city made me happy. Why not? It has everything mother nature has to offer.. At the end of the day, you can head south and stay in the beach to witness the glorious effect of sunset. (which I rarely see in Ormoc City).
Some sunsets i took after my class
. to get a glimpse of the fishes “leaping” out from the surface of water.. I also loved the sound of the rhythmic beat of the waves as they met the shores. Truly, it’s a perfect place to relax either after a strenuous class at school or just your way of spending a good quality time with yourself/friends. Well, it was a paradise for me. Ask and it shall be given unto you (haha) come on, name it! mountains, rivers, waterfalls, seawater, you’ll have it! And the good thing is, you can go anywhere without spending any cent. Only sweat. because all you need to do is walk and you’ll get there. then you savor the place! (hehe)

So well, I went home that day announcing to my folks that I changed my mind and I’m going to enroll in Visca and stay in the rural area. Guess what? Without knowing it, the place was my ticket to travel to other places without having to ask my parents for money (remember everything was cheap, I can save more than half of my allowance every week) and permission to travel.

Some sunsets i took after my class
(They didn’t find out that I’ve been to Bohol, Camotes, Cebu, Southern Leyte, Tacloban because they’re thinking that there’s no way for me to fund my travels).

Visca too is the place where maintaining communication is difficult. During my stay, the network coverage for cellphones is not good. And regular phones are out of trend unless when your in the office. So I always have a reason to tell my folks why I’m unreachable. ;)

Btw, Visca is situated in Barangay Pangasugan, 8 km north of the City of Baybay and 34 km south of Ormoc City.

Kiosk, Visca Beach
It is accessible from both directions because the national road cuts across the University campus. It can also be reached from various points in Leyte either by air through Tacloban City airport (116 km away) or by sea through the ports of Baybay City, Ormoc City, Hilongos (43 km), and Bato (50 km).

martinezsmi says:
no wonder we get along. i always had to convince (lie) to my parents about where i wanted to go, and what i wanted to do. i was a good kid and they trusted me, but would have had a heart attack if they saw me do things i did when i was younger.

love the blog
Posted on: Dec 25, 2009
nomaden says:
thank you!! :) but i think i don't deserve the high praise. ;) hehe.
Posted on: Apr 10, 2008
ctjevans says:
p.s., the second to last paragraph was hilarious =D hahaha, you were so sneaky, LOL!
Posted on: Apr 10, 2008